New Member to Forum Needs Advise/Help in Obtaining Work Experience

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve100

Reaction score
I am looking to change my career which may seem peculiar now that I have reached the ripe old age of 47 and would now, want to start crawl around under floor boards and in hot loft spaces. But I have always been interested in becoming an electrician and until more recently have only managed to pull the finances together to be able to afford the cost of studying part time. This has been quite a struggle as an Adult Learner as there always seems to be loads of barriers that seem to stand in your way the older you are, especially when working full time, so to my question please read on

Good luck Steve with it. I am 49 and sometimes wish I could give it up especially crawling around in lofts this hot weather.

Thanks, still haven't had any luck despite all my efforts. I have had no real help from the agencies I have contacted either, but onwards and upwards I'll still keep trying, I will get there as I'm determined to make it!

Best of luck, fella, you seem to have the right attitude and this should carry you a long way.

Well I cant help with the work I'm afraid, In the same position as you, have the theory but not the practice.

However if you have 2330 you can do the short version of the 17th.

Try for an exam only option, If you can read an index this is an exam that can not be failed, I did it in one day, It's a farce, and proves nothing.

And at 47 your a youngster I dd it at 54, but still no offers for work, to many time served unemployed sparks out there, thay always will (and should) get preference.

Strongly suggest that you try and get 2391 under your belt. It is very much an academic exam but with past papers and rehearsing the testing it can be done without much practical experience. Mine was an 8 week evening class.

I did 2391 and 17th edition together at 50 and it was the clincher for picking up a job working for Mr Electric. Really thrown in the deep end - and since discovered there was a high turn over of staff - but the 3 years I spent there was a brilliant apprenticeship which upped the practical and customer skills which paved the way to going self employed.

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for your supportive responses, know what you mean about the agencies, I arrange for temporary staffing within my organisation and they would all cut off their own arms if it meant getting a worker in post. I will look into the 17th and 2391 exams, although I was told that the 17th short course is no longer running. In the mean time I'll still keep looking for work experience and pestering.

Think it was me that gave the scoob, sorry wasn't meant to be negative was supposed to be positive as I totally agree with your comment. I'm new to the site so I thought/sure I hit the positive my apologies.

Definitely wouldn't be me for sure if there was, I have good reasons to dislike agencies mate.

I have completed my C&G 2330 Levels 2/3 and 17th Edition. I was wandering although now qualified I do lack practical experience and what I am looking for is to gain some practical experience as an Electricians mate or through some unpaid work experience at weekends, I live in the Dartford/Bexleyheath area so London, North/NE of Kent or Southern Essex is easily accessible for me.

Is there anybody out there that could help me or know anybody in the industry that could help? Ideally I would prefer Domestic Installation, but at this stage I�m really not bothered I would just like the experience! I am hard working, reliable and willing to learn, I am also willing to commit.

Any help or advice would be greatly received and appreciated.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
I do have transport, happy to travel for about an hour from where I live but would depend on whether it is paid work or unpaid work experience. What distance where you thing?

Latest posts