New telly advice .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also from an era when  we didn't have a TV  , like the rest of the street .     My mate's dad  down the road at 95  had the only car , Ford Prefect , actually a firm's car, he was in sales, they also had the first TV  that I know of .        We used to pile into his house  for Children's Television  at 4.00  pm  or 5 pm .    

The radio we kids waited for was   Journey Into Space  which can still be heard on  R4 Extra .     Also Dick Barton Special Agent  ,  they replayed that  ...its absolute pants !!  

Then The Archers ..An everyday story of Country Folk .   

My dad saved up for years to buy our first TV  , BBC only , B&W   .   A few years ago  I was at the tip  dumping a large  , working ,  CRT  colour set  because you couldn't give them away .   I dumped it ,got in the car , looked back at it , sitting with about 40 other sets  and thought of my dad's hard earned savings as a millwright  for that first   Regentone  set  . 

I went in for a cheap fridge for one of my rentals

£99.   I'll take one

sorry sir, non stock item, we can deliver tomorrow for £24

no bother, get one in and I'll pick it up

sorry can't do that we have to deliver

well it's not £99 is it then it's £123 isn't it?

i got a little terse and threatened them with Trading Standards for false advertising !

i got one for £99 and a free kettle!

Couple of years ago we went to Bensons for Beds to buy our son a new bed.

Found the one we wanted and were happy with the price - it was delivery only so when doing the forms a delivery charge got added -

I said "hold on, we can't take it now, and your delivery price is added to the sale price"

Salesman "thats correct sir"

me : but the sales price doesn't mention the delivery charge 

Him : no sir its added

Me : no its not. Under trading standards the advertised price has to be the price you pay unless the delivery charge is stated on the sales tag

him : wanders off and speaks to his manager - comes back, and accepts I was correct. sales price paid!

Do you have a size and price range in mind? 
Looking at a 42"   I think .       Strangely we can't , at the moment , think of an alternative to  Currys/PC World.          Need to get in there and look at them  , missus has spotted an LG  online  , I'd like to see that plus the Sony & Panasonic.

I noticed Specs mentioned buying from AO    I''ll take a look .   

Looking at a 42"   I think .       Strangely we can't , at the moment , think of an alternative to  Currys/PC World.          Need to get in there and look at them  , missus has spotted an LG  online  , I'd like to see that plus the Sony & Panasonic.

I noticed Specs mentioned buying from AO    I''ll take a look .   

Richer Sounds ........... John Lewis

You really need to touch, hear and feel this stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
Deke.... they recon that you should size your TV to 1/3 of the distance that you sit from it.... Eg.. if you sit 9' away then you should get a 36"
Nice one !!   I'll measure that later .

Richer Sounds ........... John Lewis

You really need to touch, hear and feel this stuff
Both those in the city centre  unfortunately , looking at disabled access.       Hence I mention Currys  which is on a nearby retail park  with disabled parking  at the door.   But thanks anyway ,   I didn't know there was a John Lewis here  & not heard of Richer Sounds  who are also in city .  

John Lewis is a good source of goods, they tend to offer better warraties in the price. As for maakes I like Panasonic for price / quality. As someone mentioned above, there are only 2 TV screen manufacturers in the world, the difference is the bells and whistles attached.

John Lewis is a good source of goods, they tend to offer better warraties in the price. As for maakes I like Panasonic for price / quality. As someone mentioned above, there are only 2 TV screen manufacturers in the world, the difference is the bells and whistles attached.
Part of my deal at Richer Sounds was a 6 year warranty. Can't recall exact pricing details, included or extra, but I judged it OK at the time

Part of my deal at Richer Sounds was a 6 year warranty. Can't recall exact pricing details, included or extra, but I judged it OK at the time
I bought my LG 50 inch plasma from Richer Sounds. the deal is 10% of the purchase price extra for a 6 year warranty. as my previous  Hitachi TV only lasted 3 years I decided this was money well  spent. As it happens TV is over 9 years old and going great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now on a 37" Panasonic plasma here after the 42" Sharp, our first, bought new,  big, flat telly died. 

The 42" LGs that replaced the Sharp for a few weeks, well it's HDMI ports weren't well. 

Both the Panasonic and LG were 2nd hand from a closing down sale at an old folks home. 

Nearly bought a 50" "name" in Lidl the other week. Just over £200 but they all went by the time I got there.

Was in Costco looking at the big ones there like 75" The OLED looks amazing sat next to the 4K ones.

Next telly when I knock the lounge diner through will be be the biggest / cheapest Smart one I can get. Cello or something like that. Really don't watch enough TV to be bothered. 

LG I hear have lettuced customer service. Panasonic won't play every downloaded video file you throw at them. Sony seem to have longevity but at a price.

Sound,  ALL tv's have carp sound. The physics of trying to get "speakers" into a box no larger than the screen and as thin as possible mean you will not get decent speakers in there.  Buy a sound bar or better still a surround sound system, and treat the visual and audio bits as separate items.  It will transform your viewing having decent sound.

The "smart" bit of tv's always seems to be criticised, it either does not work well or does not get updated so stops working after a while.  Best to just buy a good dumb tv and a fire stick.  the fire stick is cheap (I paid £20 for mine when on offer a couple of months ago) and is far more likely to get updated or just buy a new one if it gives up.

I will stick to my now 10 year old Plasma sets until they become unrepairable, or someone gives me something more modern to fix.
I remember one time we had an old Grundig with an inbuilt subwoofer. This was old style where the TV was as deep as it was wide.

Another thing that just struck me about new TVs  .  I  see Freeview is mentioned a lot  but not Freesat .     Our present LG  has built in Freesat  with a small dish on the back of the house .       I don't think I've seen that mentioned while browsing through all the makes etc .