New telly advice .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Murdo  , this model is the Sony Bravia  ...so far so good ...... just been scanning the online manuals  which are informative  BUT cannot get an answer to the simplest question .

Can someone confirm that the Power button on the rear , which has the Power symbol  and  Plus & minus symbols   ...is actually the  OFF button  ?   The manual shows the Power button on the remote as  " Standby"      but it does not refer anywhere to the function of the rear button .

I would think 99%  that  does shut the set down but I wish it said  so  .......I don't like stuff left on standby .  

My neighbour's Sharp  TV  burst into flames one afternoon  , all on it's own , on standby ...could have burned his house down  had he not been in . 

You can get these new fangled things that fit on the other end of the TV power lead...

Think they are called a "Switched Socket"....

https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-dp-switched-socket/p77115

Guinness

They recon that by using the  little switch you can turn the "Standby Off"...

:slap

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone confirm that the Power button on the rear , which has the Power symbol  and  Plus & minus symbols   ...is actually the  OFF button  ?   The manual shows the Power button on the remote as  " Standby"      but it does not refer anywhere to the function of the rear button .

no idea. We only use the off button on the remote

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it strange that ,  although it may appear obvious ,  nowhere does it say  "this is the On Off button . 

I find the concept of " Standby"  somewhat strange TBH ...either its on or its off .     I accept it with the PC   which I tend to use the sleep & wake up keys due to  it having to boot up every time . 

My Samsung "smart" TV doesn't have a switch on the set at all. I unplug it when we go on holiday otherwise it's always on standby.  Our smaller 24 inch sets have an external power unit like that of a lap-top, so are effectively on standby.  The current "wasted" is negligible; it's often quoted in the literature.

I do share your reservations at having something permanently live when not in use but it does seem to be the norm now.  I think I mentioned a while ago a convector heater I repaired which would "fail" to full on if its triac failed.  I see the vulnerability to incoming voltage transients as the biggest risk there.

Latest posts