New Use For Telephone Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Had a request from a customer to move a socket in her bedroom. Simple enough thinks me. Off with the power, remove double socket faceplate to find.........it's a spur that's been wired using telephone cable!

On my mates farm he was moving a BFO bench saw for cutting up big timbers. He was desperate to get floor concreted , so he helped me by installing a piece of 50mm tri rated singles AND a piece of ( i think? ) 50 PR BT cable. All inside a 28mm BLUE MDPE water pipe.

I store some slow moving stock in his warehouse and he saw the cable, so though ........why not.

It is so slow movving I Sent Pache some of the 50s so he could make jump leads for a Gerbil or summat,

Just hoarding

stick enough cores in parallel.....

I once encountered someone that had used a bit of tv coax as mains flex.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to quote a domestic rewire some 15 yrs ago ,  old guy shows me around .   In the bathroom , right next to the bath is a socket , wired in 2 core bell wire , a small table with a radio , a kettle & tea making stuff.

When I advised him against this arrangement  he assured me it was fine as it had been there since the 1950s  and he likes to lean out of the bath to brew the tea.