NIC Approved

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
Can anyone who is already approved give me a rough idea on start up cost and yearly cost of becoming an AC, also does becoming an AC include DI?

I'm after just what you pay the NIC not including test equipment etc.

Their pdf is quite confusing http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File2164.pdf

I'm a one man band working from home if that helps.

I kinda know a guy at the council saw him the other week and he told me get NIC approved and he may be able to put some work my way. Plus I'd like to be an approved contractor.

Can anyone who is already approved give me a rough idea on start up cost and yearly cost of becoming an AC, also does becoming an AC include DI?I'm after just what you pay the NIC not including test equipment etc.

Their pdf is quite confusing http://www.niceic.com/Uploads/File2164.pdf

I'm a one man band working from home if that helps.
I would say NOT. Just flicked through the phone book and a lot of firms have both DI and AC.

Maybe wrong. Give NIC a ring and ask them would be your best bet.

It can include being a DI as long as you specify you want to. I think it was approx

I'm AC with NIC, and during my first inspection my AE asked if I wanted DI included, I said yes, they throw it in FOC for AC's.

As far as charges go there is a joining fee and initial assessment fee, then an annual ongoing assessment fee.

You would need to check these direct with NIC.

You MAY get a special deal for changing schemes?

The reason I went AC was because I had a few potential clients who only recognised AC, and going back a few years I was not aware of how the other schemes were recognised, except the ECA, however, my business at the time had an element of turnover not related to electrical and as far as I could tell ECA fees were related to turn over, thus, I would have been paying fees on somethign which would have had no benefit to me!

Paul

Someone on here had a Free transfer to the NIC from their old Scheme Provider.

I kinda know a guy at the council saw him the other week and he told me get NIC approved and he may be able to put some work my way. Plus I'd like to be an approved contractor.
I haven't had this situation myself, but I'm sure that I've read elsewhere that this is illegal and if you phone ELECSA they will "have a word" on your behalf.

it can't be illegal, surely the customer can choose whoever they want?

What you fail to understand is that the NICEIC sets a standard that is seldom followed by other scheme providers. Which is the reason why most councils will insist on AC NICEIC contractors.

Now I know you will all dispute this but I can show previous posts on this forum where other providers have been very happy in just seeing 1 job, the NICEIC will never pass anyone on 1 job and that is a fact.

The high standard is recognised by most buyers and is often stipulated in any paperwork.

However I am not by any means suggesting that any electrician who is NICEIC registered is good, they are not, and any that should be reported should be.

When Elesca and Napit impose the same strict assessment procedures that is normal for the NICEIC then maybe councils and major contract buyers will allow them to tender for more blue chip contracts.

What you fail to understand is that the NICEIC sets a standard that is seldom followed by other scheme providers. Which is the reason why most councils will insist on AC NICEIC contractors.
Now you know that statement is utter rubbish. The only reason councils etc recognize them over anyone else is because they have been around for over 50 years. Also, other than the ECA, they were the only body around, c'mon.

There is an elitist attitude amongst a majority of NICEIC members which is not good. It even exists within itself. NICEIC members stick together against ECA. elecsa, Napit etc, then when not fighting with them the AC's slam the DI's. Before anyone says "you're only saying that because you're not with the NICEIC", well I am as it happens.

I am registered as a DI with NICEIC, and I have an extension to my scope to cover Periodic Inspection reporting in order to carry out work for the local council and Age Concern - I get asked to become an AC at every assessment, but I'm happy with the way things are. My local council will also use ECA registered contractors.

IMO their standard is higher (as a general rule)KME
Can I ask if you have been registered with anyone else to make such a statement KME. I'm not trying to spark an argument, just curious. I have been with both Napit and NICEIC, so I can speak from experience. Whilst it is true that Napit only ask to see 1 job and DI's have to show at least 2, AC's 5-7? My Napit inspector was just as thorough as my NICEIC inspector. Anyone can put forward 5 or more top notch jobs for assessment and yet the rest of their work can be very poor. The only way to have top standards is to have surprise visits, that way every job has to be top rank.

I do not think anyone would argue with your points about surprise visits, I have been asking why it is not a norm for years.

I also know there are some very good in fact excellent electricians who are registered with other providers.

I also think that just one site will never satisfy anyone for NICEIC enrolement.

I also think that just one site will never satisfy anyone for NICEIC enrolement.
We're in agreement there, all I'm saying is that just because other scheme operators only ask for one site visit, it doesn't make their standards any lower.

I didn't leave Napit because I thought NICEIC standards were higher, I've seen my fair share of bad electricians in both schemes, I left because of a difference of opinion of their direction.