Nice earth

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Went to a house today to change a few light fittings. Went to the fuse board and noticed a label on the board saying that there is no earth on either lighting circuit so all light fittings and switches must be plastic. Nice label, but unfortunately all fittings and switches in the house were metal. In some of the metal switches, the switch plate was bonded to the back box, but as the circuit was wired with no earth, that's a bit blinking useless. :slap :slap

Best of all though, it is a TN-S supply and the main earth was taped to the outside of the supply cable YES, I SAID TAPED - with insulation tape!!!!

Didn't get a photo sadly:(

Sure is.

The customer bought the house off his (soon to be ex) wife's daughter and son-in-law. The son-in-law is a builder - enough said I think. Although I'm wondering if he actually knew what he was doing and didn't like his wife's mother's hubby much

He's quite a safety concious customer so he wants us to rewire both lighting circuits. A good idea because there are lots of other problems on the circuits as well which will get sorted at the same time.

Good to know about the plastic screws for the future though, thaks Zee

Went to a house today to change a few light fittings. Went to the fuse board and noticed a label on the board saying that there is no earth on either lighting circuit so all light fittings and switches must be plastic. Nice label, but unfortunately all fittings and switches in the house were metal. In some of the metal switches, the switch plate was bonded to the back box, but as the circuit was wired with no earth, that's a bit blinking useless. :slap :slapBest of all though, it is a TN-S supply and the main earth was taped to the outside of the supply cable YES, I SAID TAPED - with insulation tape!!!!

Didn't get a photo sadly:(
are you sure that it's not connected with a constant force spring an then covered in tape Ali??

It's only a matter of time before the Insurance companies insist that a PIR or Electrical condition report (I hope I got it right) (Still waiting for my BGB to come) is done on properties every ten years regardless of change of ownership. I know this could prove financially difficult for lots of people to have done but maybe the government could introduce a grant to help those genuine cases and making peoples houses a lot safer electrically. But it's not an ideal world is it.

It's only a matter of time before the Insurance companies insist that a PIR or Electrical condition report (I hope I got it right) (Still waiting for my BGB to come) is done on properties every ten years regardless of change of ownership. I know this could prove financially difficult for lots of people to have done but maybe the government could introduce a grant to help those genuine cases and making peoples houses a lot safer electrically. But it's not an ideal world is it.
I would be very surprised if this ever happens. Not enough loss of life with electrical faults, mostly just damaged properties. Easier solution for the insurance companies is just increase their premiums. If look at it in relation to motor vehicle insurance all that has happened is premiums have gone up despite a much higher fatality rate.

Doc H.

are you sure that it's not connected with a constant force spring an then covered in tape Ali??
I know it wasn't because when I touched it, it fell off!

The only thing I touched was the main switch! I turned that off as soon as I saw the tape, then didn't turn anything on again until main earth was fixed a little better.

I wrapped my insulation tape round it at least twice and made sure it was nice and tight, after all, I've been to college so I know what I'm doing!!
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Latest posts