NICIEC Assessments, Advice Needed Please

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all. Ok convinced my dad (or I think my mum has :) ) to replace the consumer unit so I've just picked up a dual RCD CU for 12 ways for

Just a small point here, if you are going to replace the cu this becomes notifiable work under part p, since its for your assesment you are not in a position to notify it :(

So, you need to inform before you start, and pay the fee for the council to come and inspect.

Now I'm sure all upright people would pay the fee rather than not complete the job before the inspection, such as doing the cu change but not haveing time to put that bit of earth sleeve on the light in the attic, and it may just be your lucky and get your assesment back in time to register before you can find time to complete the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
cr0ft , all testing takes time, there are NO short cuts,

you will find ways of shortening the procedure, but to tell you would mean you might not fully understand the principles behind certain tests,

and, until you become conversant and you get to the stage where you 'know' what the result will(should) be before you actually test the circuit then you really need to be doing the whole kit and caboodle as they say.!

I think they be what your tutor was leaning towards, you will learn in your own time.

I only know one way to do your testing TBh

Rings ---end to end

R1+R2,s

Insulation

Polarity

Zs,eses

RCD trip times

Testing may show why the main RCD was tripping !!!

I suspect so. Hope people don't mind me posting results etc and my interpretation of them on here. Really appreciate all the help. I never expected to be 100% at this after a 5 week course, far from it in fact. It's great to have people who are willing to help out in their own time on here. Quite unlike the dinosaurs on the other forum with a similar website name :)

Hi all. Just a quick update. I fitted the board and completed testing today. All testing made sense today (I tested the whole house just for experience really). I even picked up a loose neutral wire behind one of the sockets when I did the R1 + Rn tests.

Quick question. How much testing of the property would you all normally do after fitting a new consumer unit? Would you test the whole house and do the whole suite of tests? That's what I did but it did take a while today, especially as every light was a fancy one that had to be taken apart to get to the wiring.

Could you do R1 + R2 tests for lighting circuits at the switches to save time?

Well you have got to ensure your ring mains are ring mains, its also a good idea to do an insulation test you don't want RCD dropping out soon as you leave and most important you will need to loop test to ensure you circuit protective device will operate if there is a fault.