Nightmare, How The Hell Can I Get Relevant Experience For Nvq?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im coming to the end of my level 3 C&G and will be taking my AM2 and regs over the summer,

Although ive heard lots of combinations to get the JIB card as I am aware this will entitle me to my JIB Domestic electrician gold card,

In order to get my NVQ I will have to cover all wiring system including mineral cable and 3 phase, but as I work in Domestic kitchen and bathroom's, (house bashing) I dont get access to these systems,

I am already registerd self employed and have started my own buissness doing minor works and boiler spurs.  

There is no point starting my apprenticeship with local council as they will want me to start my course from lev 2 with PEO instead of C&G, ive called local companies including Arnold Electrical and Willmott Dixon but all want me to apply for full time jobs as a labourer to get on site,

I have my asbestos certs and my ECS card so am eligible to be on site, but finding anywhere to get this evidence is proving a nightmare,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know a few of you guys may have been down a similar path,  I am due to start my NVQ in Sept but am worried about paying £1800 for a course I wont be able to complete as Im not on an apprenticeships the costs are just ridiculous,

Thanks in advance guys

Anton  

Hi guys,

Im coming to the end of my level 3 C&G and will be taking my AM2 and regs over the summer,

Although ive heard lots of combinations to get the JIB card as I am aware this will entitle me to my JIB Domestic electrician gold card,

In order to get my NVQ I will have to cover all wiring system including mineral cable and 3 phase, but as I work in Domestic kitchen and bathroom's, (house bashing) I dont get access to these systems,

I am already registerd self employed and have started my own buissness doing minor works and boiler spurs.  

There is no point starting my apprenticeship with local council as they will want me to start my course from lev 2 with PEO instead of C&G, ive called local companies including Arnold Electrical and Willmott Dixon but all want me to apply for full time jobs as a labourer to get on site,

I have my asbestos certs and my ECS card so am eligible to be on site, but finding anywhere to get this evidence is proving a nightmare,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I know a few of you guys may have been down a similar path,  I am due to start my NVQ in Sept but am worried about paying £1800 for a course I wont be able to complete as Im not on an apprenticeships the costs are just ridiculous,

Thanks in advance guys

Anton  

Hi guys,

Thanks in advance guys

Anton  

peace and love brother.

Perhaps offer to help someone for free to get experience/photos on the stuff you need.

are you actually going to give me any advice mate or are you just trolling?

Well thats a good way to start asking for help.......   NOT!!!!

Spamming duplicate posts..

Then moaning on at an existing member who has actually give some useful advice to help you get the best response.... 

re-reading the same post in multiple threads just gets peoples backs up ..

and clutters  the forum for others trying to search for other things...

If everybody put loads of copies of every post they start because they are not sure which sub forum to put it into..

you would never find which one to to back to to follow up a topic a few days later...

:shakehead

Well I'm sorry to say Anton with an approach to problems as you've demonstrated you will not get to where you want to go, you will however be kicked back many times.

So if you are prepared to take constructive advice then you may get what you seek.

Whilst your proem may be frustrating it's not our fault

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never used these sites before, would have been nice if you would have explained why like trailer boy did I would have understood, I will make sure I post once in future,  

I also understand I wont get nowhere without taking advice and learning, so if i upset any of you lot of, im sorry

I'm glad we've cleared that up.

So let's look at what you haven't considered.

As Pewter pointed towards, have a look at already established electrical outfits close to you and approach them with the proposal of working with them at reduced rates to enable you to gain the material that you need for your Nvq. Remember they don't have to help you, so make any offers, of mutual benefit to both you and them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Anton,

How you manage to get this far???? When i had a bit to do with colleges and stuff, they usually managed to sort people out with placements and stuff. I do hope that you are going to a proper college and not one of these "training provider" outfits...

john...

most normal colleges have ways around this by doing work in training centres. Getting MICC experience being particularly difficult, this is standard practice, as very few companies ever use it these days.

Yh, they said that they can recreate 10 per cent of it including MICC, but will still need to work on a 3 phase system and a few other bits, everything else I can get doing domestics,

I have approached local lads/firms but at this time of year they all seem to be recruiting fresh apprentices or not doing the relevant work so was thinking if anyone had any other idea's

and Its coming upto the end of my 3rd year C&G in college and 2nd year house bashing so trust me I cant take the part P w**nkers anymore than you guys, 

careful  now, there a quite a few members on here who re-trained from other work via Part P route, and who clearly demostrate a superior electrical knowledge to many 'normally trained' sparks. Even the vet knows more than many on here....
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Latest posts