No bonding on new build

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just looked at the tags at the bottom........platic.....whats that? come on Admin!
Nothing to do with me Mate. They are automatically taken from the title of the thread and can also be added manually by the thread starter too.

But I have corrected it now.

So if the incomming water pipe is plastic an its copper inside then it dont need bonding?

Wont the copper pipe inside the installation be in contact with earth at some point? going through walls under floors etc.

Just trying to understand it properly

Thanks

Hence the need to check if its under 22kohm to Earth. If it is it needs bonding.

So if the incomming water pipe is plastic an its copper inside then it dont need bonding?Wont the copper pipe inside the installation be in contact with earth at some point? going through walls under floors etc.

Just trying to understand it properly

Thanks
plastic feed in and it doesnt normally need bonded

generally it will be earthed indirectly via the boiler/water heater anyway

I'm saying your examples are crap.
Your reply is crap, its just gobble-de-****.

You were going on about bonding is required in some rooms but not really in others or something, no idea?

In a commercial property, EVERY room, could have a suspended ceiling.

Do you, like Steptoe, bond every ceiling and every main Tbar back to the MET with 10mm.

:|

I have seen this done by post office electricians, but its just ridiculous.

Your reply is crap, its just gobble-de-****.You were going on about bonding is required in some rooms but not really in others or something, no idea?

In a commercial property, EVERY room, could have a suspended ceiling.

Do you, like Steptoe, bond every ceiling and every main Tbar back to the MET with 10mm.

:|

I have seen this done by post office electricians, but its just ridiculous.
where did I say I did that.?

I said I bonded suspended ceilings.

NT, you need to pay more attention to what needs bonded, and in what manner and size of cable is required, you could try looking in the BRC or perhaps even building regs may help,

Im not sure, try checking stuff out for yourself sometimes.

Please read this informed article by Paul Cook of the IEE.

http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/pdfs/earthbonding.pdf

On the bottom of the second page the following remark is made

If the incoming pipes are made of plastic, but the pipes within the electrical installation are made of metal, the main bonding must be carried out. The bonding being applied on the customer side of any meter, main stopcock or insulating insert and of course to the metal pipes of the installation.

The esteemed posters on here stating that a plastic incomer with copper internal pipework doesnt have to be bonded need to rethink what they have posted.

Please read this informed article by Paul Cook of the IEE.http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/pdfs/earthbonding.pdf

If the incoming pipes are made of plastic, but the pipes within the electrical installation are made of metal, the main bonding must be carried out. The bonding being applied on the customer side of any meter, main stopcock or insulating insert and of course to the metal pipes of the installation.

The esteemed posters on here stating that a plastic incomer with copper internal pipework doesnt have to be bonded need to rethink what they have posted.
the osg says it might need bonding

Please read this informed article by Paul Cook of the IEE.http://www.plasticpipesgroup.com/pdfs/earthbonding.pdf

From the supplementary bonding bit is this to the 16th edition?

What gives this bloke any particular weight to his argument? It all the same regs you are trying to adhere to!

The requirements to bond the incoming gas and water are still the same as 16th. This Paul Cook bloke is our leader we must obey him.

The requirements to bond the incoming gas and water are still the same as 16th. This Paul Cook bloke is our leader we must obey him.
And when he insists on the mass suicide...............

:good luck:

That is an interesting post Graham..

the only snag is the fact that it refers to 16th Edition..

the quote you refer to is an extract from Page 25 of the OLD 16th edition On Site Guide! paragraph 4.3 I believe.. :|

The CURRENT REGULATIONS 17th edition OSG has this paragraph superseded with bullit point 4.4 on page 29 of the NEW OSG

Again as this thread is referring to a NEW build under 17th edition..

whereas all of the illustrations from your link are also from the 16th edition OSG.

So suddenly these copper pipes that pass through walls floors etc dont introduce a potential because the colour of the regs book changed. Rather you than me not bonding them.

Hello all,I was at a new build house today (build in 2008 so not brand new), there was no main bonding to the water pipes however the main service pipe was plastic (the rest of the installation is copper). Is this correct? and would you say it was best practice?

What I gather is a water pipe supplied by a plastic pipe cant introduce a potential and therfore isnt an extraneous conductive part, therfore doesnt need bonding. However I've seen a live cable make contact with plumbing and imagine it would be best to have copper pipes bonded. Any opinions on this?
The original post said 2008 so could be either edition.

So suddenly these copper pipes that pass through walls floors etc dont introduce a potential because the colour of the regs book changed. Rather you than me not bonding them.
If you go back and read the posts you will see..

It is extraneous metal parts that need bonding..

Not each and every bit of metal that happens to be in the building.

I will refer my technical reference regarding how to install electrical installations to the relevant current regs and standards such as BS7671..

Not an out of date link from a plumbing site (hepworth plumbing !!!: O)

referring to OLD regs! or trying to do searches to see what Peter cook and Dudley Moore say...

The front of my regs book doesn't say Author Peter Cook?

there are in fact a whole bunch of esteemed technical persons listed in the front of BS7671 (page 8) not just one name!?

or do you suggest I do searches on each one of these as well to ask their opinions? :|

I shall stick to MY regs books thank you

and the various guidance notes

and such sites as the various Approved contractor schemes..

etc..

If every the worst case arose and I had to be defending myself in court..

I would certainly NOT want oh be saying oh but Peter Cook said do this!!!

Latest posts