No Hot Water

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterroulston

Reaction score
I have no hot water, nothing coming out off any hot tap, i have cold water from all the cold taps, i am on a well and the pumps seems to be working,
the hot water tank has power to it, but even if there was no power to hot water tank, shouldn't i still get cold water from the hot taps,
any help will be greatly appreciated.

tried tracing the water lines, and for a while the cold water line going into the water tank seemed hotter than the hot water line coming out as if the pressure was pushing the water the other way, checked all the lines i can see, and no of them seem cold enough that the lines could have frozen.

Sounds as though someone has turned a valve off at the outlet of the cylinder.

What sort of tank and heat source is it, e.g conventional Y plan type or sealed hot water system? Who, or what, has been in recently?

You have to be careful describing faults.

Usually when someone calls an electrician and says "I have no hot water" we think the water is cold and the heater is faulty.

If you really mean the tap is dry and nothing at all comes out of the tap, then call a plumber, not an electrician.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no hot water, nothing coming out off any hot tap, i have cold water from all the cold taps, i am on a well and the pumps seems to be working,
the hot water tank has power to it, but even if there was no power to hot water tank, shouldn't i still get cold water from the hot taps,
any help will be greatly appreciated.

tried tracing the water lines, and for a while the cold water line going into the water tank seemed hotter than the hot water line coming out as if the pressure was pushing the water the other way, checked all the lines i can see, and no of them seem cold enough that the lines could have frozen.

Welcome to the forum, from your profile you appear to be in Hamilton Canada, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton,_Ontario,  As this is a UK based forum you may be better asking on something more local to where you live, some electrical and plumbing standards, regulations and good practice may differ between our two locations. You are of course more than welcome to continue browsing and inputing to our forum.

Doc H.

There is also a Hamilton just outside of Glasgow, Manator :innocent
But the Country:Canada bit gave it away. (Pretty sure this was added after I replied though, in my defence)