No Ze

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geffers

Reaction score
Hi guys, did a quick Ze before installing a new ring & board but got nothing. Everyhing else looks to be ok i cannot see any work directly outside by contractors so not sure how long its been like that. How quick will the DNO come & check? Property is empty apart from a plasterer.

So you left the installation isolated from supply, didn`t you?

What is supply type?

Have you explained the dangers of plugging things in to the plasterer?

Did you just carry on & do your work?

All isolated & locked off come on guys gimme some credit. When I say there is no earth I mean no Ze reading so no path back to the supply tranny. So will the DNO come & take a look?

Unoccupied? Sounds like a TT installation where someone has gone and either chopped or disconnected the earth wire. Or if is is 'old' was it previously earthed through the water pipes. Any photo's of the cut out may give some clues. Have you rung the DNO to see what they say?

Doc H.

I will ring the DNO tomorrow the property is pre-war (ww2) so i doubt if it was TT there is an earth connection to the amoured cable which has a 10mm main earth cable attached to it & it looks as if it was probably re-wired about 25yrs ago. There is main bonding to both gas & water so it is possible this could be the earth path if i have to make it TT then so be it.Thanks for all your input - appreciated.

What is your area Geffers. If your SE and EDF i wouldnt bother ringing them. Youll only get the runaround being passed from pillar to post. Just TT it and make it safe is what id do but your DNO may be more helpful ?? (EDF say they dont keep records of earthing so it must be TT haha)

united utilities are my local DNO & no there is no RCD as i am doing a board change

Is it a metal cutout - Western Power in this area change them for free!!! at the same time they will provide PME if available, worth asking your DNO if it is metal (The head, not the DNO!!)

just to close this one, United Utilities came out took a look asked me what reading i got & got back into his van, just before he drove off he gave me a leaflet regarding earthing for TT! So screwfix here i come for an earth rod.

DNO's do not give a toss tbh. I was called out to a job where an "electrician" had rewired a house before the DNO had come to install a new supply. They installed a single phase 2 wire + a 2 pole 60947-3 isolator then put a notice on the head that said NO EARTH.

Said "electrician" came out to connect to the new supply and was confused at the notice and told my letting agent he didn't understand! I got my phonecall from my letting agent about it, I rang DNO to which they said "Don't hold records" FOR A NEW SUPPLY FFS!!

I proceeded to install an earth rod under the hallway floor with 16mm Main Protective Conductor and my Ra was 54.1 ohms.........happy days! Rang LABC about the rewire to see if they would accept a PIR from myself as the "electrician" wasn't in a scam etc, to which building control accepted my offer. Tested the install, bloody DB was wired wrong, ring mains split over both RCD's etc etc.

Anyway, 1 days work, a few phonecalls and a nice payment thank you very much!!

Yes, its under the floor which I installed a sort of trap door etc as the street it's in is terraced which leads straight out into the street. There is no way an enclosure outside would be possible as they are quite large and involve a fair bit of excavation work to install them and I don't think the local council would take too kindly to me hacking up their tarmac path!

The Boards are marked clearly and the DB also states the location of the rod.

Since the law was changed which makes earthing the consumers problem a lot of DNO's have become quite obstructive by the sound of it.

Western Power Distribution (WPD) must be the DB's then, I can always get an engineer on the phone (One guy gave me his direct number) they always know what the earthing is/should be, turn up and do job within 4 days, although you have to pay

Latest posts