Non, je ne regrette rien

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any regrets .  ?

Any regrets leaving employment to become self employed ?

Any regrets leaving SE  for employed work? 

Anyone regret remaining employed  or thought they may have done better ?  

I’ve only been SE in fields other than electrical. I enjoyed them despite the extra hassle of paperwork for the accounts, etc. Being nice to “customers” put a strain on my system.

The electrical day job if I had to pay for spares and consumables I used would make me a gibbering wreck within a day.

I’ve never shied away from my responsibilities but if I could reduce them I would. Being an employee shifts most of the responsibility to the employer.

Now I’m retired with the benefit of hindsight there’s a few things I’d change but in the main I’ve been happy with my lot.

When I was down south, the mortgage was too big due to the high cost of housing so I needed the security of full time employment.

It was only when I moved up north and started on a self build house that basically the morgtage had gone and I finally had the freedom to live on an uncertain, variable income and went SE.

No regrets at all. i love the flexibility and freedom from "office politics" (working for plonkers) etc 

It just goes to show what a millstone a mortgage is, and the sooner you can get rid of it the better.

My only regret is staying in the over priced, over crowded, boring flat landscape of the Southern England for as long as I did before moving somewhere with cheaper housing, lower population density and nice landscape.

The only thing I don’t like about being SE Sparky is the constant fiddling Of the regs that mean we have to keep spending time and money .....

the thought of being employed again fills me with dread .... yuk

I don't regret going SE, I do regret expanding the business and employing others

Just paid the mortgage off, but I was lucky in that wife had a well paid full time job, so the vagaries of being SE didn't affect me so much.

As soon as someone 'bids' me the price goes up...it's like reverse bartering and seriously annoys me. Annoys them more when I walk!

if I give a price for,the job then that's what I want for doing the job

if I wanted less I would have asked for less!

whats your VERY BEST price?........it's the FRICKING price I have just given you! You think I am worth less? Then jog on!

whats your VERY BEST price?........it's the FRICKING price I have just given you! You think I am worth less? Then jog on!

Oh yes! Just had a call 2pm this afternoon from a fella who is after some quotes to replace 2 fans ' can you come around today?' No, I can pop in Friday to have a look. 'Can you do the job Friday?' No, I can get to you next week. I now don't want the job and I've not even looked yet. 

Long story short

look at job for letting agent

bloke bought flat as investement

lives 250 miles away

got a piR

met him, looked at it

quoted 1400 plus VAT

rang me 4 weeks later got someone to do it for £800 cash,BUT wanted me to do it AND for £800

materials £700 plus vat so £840... work for  a week and loses £40!,,,,,

two months later original spark has done a runner so he wants me to finish it for £400!

told him it was now £4000

everytime he bid me it went up £250

got to £6,500

then he told ME that WE have a problem

then it got funny