nose bleeding?!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackfrosty

Reaction score
hi, working with dad today and we both have nose bleeds tonight! We were working at a semi 1960's i recon, are there any dusts or anything that can cause this? i hate to say it but can asbestos cause this? it is a old house and was dusty from drilling into walls, ceilings etc

cheers

asbestos give you cancer and takes years before any damage. so no, its not asbestos related. unless youve been stuffing the stuff up your nose. in which case your going to die.

nope havent been doing that. didnt know if it was a side effect or anything. Probably just coincidence

If you eat the asbestos it would taste like sh1t but would do you no harm!

The only route into the body where by asbestos causes injury is via inhilation.

This causes pleural plaques, (amongst other things) and also it is due to the morphology of the fibres that it is capable of travelling airborne into the smalles passages in the aveoli of the lungs.

Had to study asbestos related illness for my H&S quals, it was also covered in my asbestos licence!

If anyone is interested refer to HSE ACoP L143 or check the HSE website the Asbestos section.

My folder on symptoms & causes is buried under loads of stuff at the mo.

One nasal irritant apart from the obvious dusts is hydro-carbons.

Were you "digging" the dust out?

If so the abrasive dust could have damaged the lining of the nose, like a scuff which would obviously bleed.

The only route into the body where by asbestos causes injury is via inhilation.
I honestly thought it could enter the body via the skin / eyes as well - hence the reason they wear full suits when removing it - otherwise you could just wear an air mask??

I might be wrong.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 23:15 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

And I was wrong - I've just read up on it:)

The full suits are to protect the clothing of the wearer from contamination which is then carried away from the work place.

When I did my asbestos licence we had to do a full mock up of drilling asbestos boards and removing an asbestos panel.

They also showed a very shilling video however, it did not go as far as the Rev!!!

I think you'll find, the full body suit is to keep the dust off of your body etc. It clings to anything and everything in powder form, like eyelashes, hair, clothing and the like.

They have to hose the suits down with a sprayed liquid before removing them. Nasty stuff all round when airborne, but quite stable in solid form, like the old corrugated roofing on older garages and and the like... just don't go drilling them....lol!!!

Be careful abour asbestos... I recently did a funeral of a man who died of asbestosis. Very sad. Worst thing was the three weeks it took to cremate him........
:_|

....... like the old corrugated roofing on older garages and and the like... just don't go drilling them....lol!!!
That's a very scary thought, from my point of view.

Going back about 18 years I did a lot of work for a construction firm who happily drilled those sheets for fixing.

They also used to cut them to size with a 5 in grinder/cutter - the only protection being a dust mask. X(

Another one they used to do was cutting the old asbestos guttering in the middle of two houses when replacing one side. :(

I know some asbestos is more dangerous than other - I take it the roof sheets and guttering are made of the dangerous stuff. :_|

That's a very scary thought, from my point of view.Going back about 18 years I did a lot of work for a construction firm who happily drilled those sheets for fixing.

They also used to cut them to size with a 5 in grinder/cutter - the only protection being a dust mask. X(

Another one they used to do was cutting the old asbestos guttering in the middle of two houses when replacing one side. :(

I know some asbestos is more dangerous than other - I take it the roof sheets and guttering are made of the dangerous stuff. :_|
The highlighted is a common urban myth.

All asbestos is equally dangerous.

However, it is the form that it is found which makes it less dangerous.

Exterior works do require less control measures than internal due to the natural ventilation! Yes seriously!

Asbestos cement products, guttering, roofing sheets etc. are less dangerous as the fibres are bonded and the "glue" tends to weight the fibres thus they don't travel so far, also it changes their geometry thus they can't travel so well into the deep lung areas.

Asbestos is completely safe if undisturbed.

In the HSE offices in Cardiff the last time I was there asbestos stickers were everywhere, typical 60/70's building.

They have not stripped it out as it is quite safe when in place.

The really dangerous stuff is the lagging type asbestos as the fibres are in natural form and free to fly around as it were.

When I was an apprentice one of our jobs was to hack the lagging off the pipework & stuff for the fitters & sparks to get at the bits underneath, hammer & chisel were the order of the day & PPE was for wimps!

So I have spent hours hacking lagging off!

Another common misconception is that cleaning up the asbestos dust with a vacuum is OK. WRONG! The fibres are so small they go straight through the machine & its filters and are too small to be spun out of a cyclone type machine. They are then dispersed into the operators breathing zone and into the general atmosphere! The ONLY suitable vacuums are those with the correct asbestos rated filters, a variant of HEPA I think but NOT the std. HEPA type IIRC, would have to check.

Latest posts