Not Sure If My Heater Thermal Is Resettable Or Not

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poltrix

Reaction score
Hello. I've been reading the first topic in this sub forum, where it says:

there are 2 main types, re-settable links and melting links.
If you have a resettable type, there will be some kind of reset button. if something clicks when this is pressed, it had tripped. put cover back together.
If its a melting link, you will see 2x wires with a gap between. and some residue of what was between them.

I don't see the 2x wires with a gap between in mine, but I can't find any kind of reset button, so I'm a bit confused.

Maybe anyone can tell me if model XLS XL9708 is resettable or not and, if it is, how? If you please search the model on Google you'll see how it looks, just in case it helps.

Many thanks.

Yes it is

xl9708.jpg

The bit on the right hand side is the over temperature trip.

There's a bit of metal sticking up on the right.

Press down with a screwdriver below that, down at an angle of about 45 degrees and it should go click and reset.  Not immediately obvious on this type,

And DO make sure the power is turned off when doing that.

Many thanks for your answer, Twatt, I'll give it a try. You're right that it isn't so obvious on this type as it is in others. And, by the way, thanks also for adding the photo. I tried to do it myself, but as I'm new I still am not allowed to do that (and with the photo it could be more useful if anytime anyone searches this same model).

When I read that I understood you were referring to yourself !!!

but reading it again it was funny !!

:p

This morning I also sent an email to the company selling this thermostats. No hope to get an answer. But I actually did (copied below). Do you think they are telling me a plain lie just to get a sale of one extra unit?  

[SIZE=11pt]Hello[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Thanks for your email.  These cut out/thermostats are not resettable.  You will need to purchase a new thermostat.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Best Regards[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt][name here][/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]Torre Electrics Ltd[/SIZE]

Perhaps they genuinely did not know?

I replaced two (replacements bought from ebay) before I discovered they are resettable.

Hats off to whoever designed such a mechanism that is SO non intuitive how it works.