notifable work or not -help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetrader

Reaction score
Hi,

Just starting out on my own, after getting 2330 L3, 2392 L2, and 2383 L3,

facing the real world after 3 years of college and a few months work experience with SEC. Need ind advise.

Got a job where the customer has just moved in to a house, and the electric hob, electric cooker and some sort of panel/fan heater ( he called it a kick heater) have been connected to gether in a joint box, no islation switch, goes straight back to the consumer unit.

Will be leaving out the heater, so just cooker and hob to sort out.

My question is, (I know work is notifiable in a kitchen, but if it is replacing equipment fo like, you dont have to.)

problem I have,

the wiring of the circuit is there, but missing the correct accessory. so would i need to notify building control.

I have no problem if I need to, just trying to keep costs down.

all advise welcome,

need to get a couple jobs under my belt then get Part P reg.

Building control are aware of my qualifications and happy to carry out notifiable work and submit applications.

thanks

Simon

Hmmm, yes, in a kitchen, so notifiable... but if it's more than three metres away from the sink, then it's not notifiable.You have to juggle and interpret the guidance a bit to grasp the idea behind it all.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

Page 7 is the bit to read.
you want to go back to page 7 and re-read what it says. the 3mtr thing only applies to open plan, not all kitchens.

Thanks for that,

I also noticed on page 10,

m. The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed

so in the case I have the circiut is already there, just need the accessory sorted out.

views please.

The part you quoted above is so plumbers, gas fitters and appliance delivery types can swap cooker and showers without having to notify the work. If you have to start wiring accessories in the circuit, then it falls back to being notifiable.

By the sounds of it you really really really want this to be not notifiable, so just stick the front on it and call it a day.

Thanks for that,I also noticed on page 10,

m. The fitting and replacement of cookers and electric showers is not notifiable unless a new circuit is needed

so in the case I have the circiut is already there, just need the accessory sorted out.

views please.
thats replacement of the cooker or shower. installing an additional part (i.e switch) is different

As with all these things, interpretation is down to the reader.I read that unless it's a gallery it's open plan enough to apply the 3m rule.

But i'm also the type that will look to minimise beauracracy if at all possible, and providing the reasonable provision bit is made for the protection and safety of and so on then I think adding an isolation point to this existing circuit really really ought to be non notifiable.
why should BC know if you have added a socket to a kitchen so the customer does not need to use the extention lead across the back of the cooker!

i think as long as you issue a cert then why the need to notify?

As with all these things, interpretation is down to the reader.I read that unless it's a gallery it's open plan enough to apply the 3m rule.

But i'm also the type that will look to minimise beauracracy if at all possible, and providing the reasonable provision bit is made for the protection and safety of and so on then I think adding an isolation point to this existing circuit really really ought to be non notifiable.
And of Course, You are making it safer. :)

But, if it has to be notified...

Guidance / regs /Part p

I have registered again this year but am losing out wholesale to all the people who do not even have test gear headbang

In your case as this circuit is existing and you are leaving it safer than it was without providing extra points i think common sense should prevail Pray

The blackmarket in unemployed sparks from the big sites has caused this along with customers not willing to pay for certified sparks and doing it theirselves headbang

Common sense must prevail in these situations and its up to you to decide whats right for the situation ,interpret the (law ahhenmm) and decide if you are at risk when doing this little alteration. ?:|

Its all going to far we will all be down the dole office whilst the blackmarket thrives by convincing the public (you don't need a bit of paper for that mate)

Not written to say that any of you are wrong with the advice you have given the op,so no offence meant to anybody.

Just me pointing out that until these things are law (as for gas) we will all suffer. :coat SSAB

I read all these part P debates with a wicked grin on my face.

Up here in Scotland, we don't have Part P, so I'm not troubled by such decisions. I just get on and do the job and issue a MWC. Job done, no need to notify LABC, no need to pay

Are you a competent and qualified electrician . ? Are you confident that you know what you are doing and are not going to kill anybody ? Will you be registering with a Part P government rip-off scheme ?

If the answers to the above is yes then just do the job , do it right, don't worry about all the notifying stuff , there are thousands of jobs done each day which are not notified. Then use it for your assessment.

Deke

Who does he notify, KME , he,s not registered. If he does job to BS whatever it is, tests it and issues an EIC , rear end is protected. Deke
tbh, unless the work is dangerous, its unlikely that he would get prosecuted or anything if he didnt notify and probably the same if he did notify anyway

The real world situation is that it's very unlikely that anyone of a jobsworth persuasion will get involved, so just fit the isolator and be done with it IMO

Yes, same for me :( don't forget re-calibration costs as well :_|

Worse bit for me is most of my work (legit & notified extensions) is already paid for notification wise, but just not worth the hassle of arguing with BI's the question of competance any longer.

The big plus is the free reign to go about your business unshackled and not looking over your shoulder.

Apart from the time I asked a customer if they wanted to pay cash... the customer replied "seeing as I'm a VAT inspector I don't think that's a good idea, do you?" :_|