Now THAT was a decent board.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Replaced a consumer unit today , supplied by the builder .

A Curve ( which is Control Gear ) from Denmans.

Enclosure is rigid enough, better than a lot of others.

Looks nice.

MCBs appear to be the same as Square D .

They use the same enclosure whether its RCBOs or not , so as I don't fit RCBOs , there is so much room in there you can lose half your tools !!!

Front cover fits a treat .

The sleeved RCD links are very flexible and the ends are crimped up properly to fit the terminals.

Huge knock -outs all round .

And competetively priced.

Farewell Crabtree & Wylex.

10/10

( I await flack from the RCBOers ) :innocent

I use these all the time now, no more struggling for 20 minutes to get the lid on with MKs!

The curve gear for the price is finger licking good, not in the literal sense! The curve sockets and switches are a treat to work with and the new designer curve board certainly facilitate my work :)

Hi, yes I've fitted my first Denmans curve recently and I too was very impressed. Used the same board as the OP. Have purchased the pre-loaded 14-way c/w 8 RCBOs as a stand-by and looking forward to fitting that. For

Replaced a consumer unit today , supplied by the builder .A Curve ( which is Control Gear ) from Denmans.

Enclosure is rigid enough, better than a lot of others.

Looks nice.

MCBs appear to be the same as Square D .

They use the same enclosure whether its RCBOs or not , so as I don't fit RCBOs , there is so much room in there you can lose half your tools !!!

Front cover fits a treat .

The sleeved RCD links are very flexible and the ends are crimped up properly to fit the terminals.

Huge knock -outs all round .

And competetively priced.

Farewell Crabtree & Wylex.

10/10

( I await flack from the RCBOers ) :innocent
No flack, but as a metal clad CU boxes and RCBOs user, for the time being, I could not find something that will convince me to stop using Hager. Using split load system complies with 7671, 17th edition, I cannot fail it. I just think that it is not safe and practical enough.

What do you do for the first enclosure in TT systems if you stick with metal clad?... ;)
You take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the live conductors are insulated and are prevented (mechanically) from contacting the enclosure.

You take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the live conductors are insulated and are prevented (mechanically) from contacting the enclosure.
I think that this is the obvious, even for a plastic enclosure...

I think that this is the obvious, even for a plastic enclosure...
But how many times do you see metalclad consumer units on TT systems with tails just going through a grommet or not even a grommet.

But how many times do you see metalclad consumer units on TT systems with tails just going through a grommet or not even a grommet.
If you intend to go through all the wrong things you can find in electrical installations, even by registered electricians, you will have a long list...

My point is that if you do things the right way, put the grommet where it should be, make sure that the connection in the CU does not have any metal parts exposed you should not have a problem with a double insulated conductor.

And just to say that With a metalclad CU even in a TN-S or TNC-S system still, you have to take the same precaution.

Not so important on TN systems if there is a short the main fuse should blow on TT you may just have a fire personally I prefer to use insulated enclosures on TT.