NVQ3, How many on here havn't got it?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think NVQs have always been seen as poor man's qualification, by people who have never taken them.

However the main bone of contention, is the apparent need to have this qualification(?), that wasn't availabe or required when many people became electricians. Especially when it is perceived that it covers the same ground as was covered by an apprenticeship.

It's all very well keeping abreast of new developments and changes in the Regulations, but to be expected to re-do your apprenticeship is a bit much.

it should simply be a case of anyone fully qualified prior to nvq3 should get an automatic nvq3 equivilant and anyone after would need to attain it, cant really see an issue most sparks who trained me were old school and no one would dare ask for there quals :)

I'm sure anyone previously registered as a JIB spark still gets their status upon renewal with their previous quals, is that correct?

Well I have an NVQ3 and I agree with the older generation too be honest, but then I'm fortunate to have served an older style apprenticeship and got an NVQ as part of it. I was very fortunate to have completed a CITB/JIB apprenticeship in the days when YTS (Young, Thick and Stupid) was the in thing.

You youngsters need to show more respect. After all, it was people from generations before that taught you your trade, so don't knock em.

Sensei.

Rough translation = Teacher

Literal translation = One who has gone before

The older guys went before you.

This is the trouble with the western culture nowadays. Should take a leaf out of the Japanese culture.

:^O

Respect is earnt! Not expected becuase you are a certain age.

I also think it is very disrespectful to degrade someones qualifications with no justification whatsoever. There is no old young divide here just a few daft comments.

I'm sure anyone previously registered as a JIB spark still gets their status upon renewal with their previous quals, is that correct?
Yep called Grandfather rights.

How could they say yes you where an approved electrician with your previous qualifications but you now need a NVQ3.

They can't say that, they are not saying that and they will not say that.

The only real control that the EAS committee has on scheme standards is the entry requirement for NEW entrants, which does not include people moving from one Scheme to another.

However - there is great pressure on the Part P Industry to go down the "risk-based assessment" route, which would severely reduce their income from Scheme membership (non-profit making, don't make me laugh!) as they would be forced to separate the membership fee from the assessment fee. People would (quite rightly) expect to pay for an assessment only when they have one and not continue to pay every year to subsidise members who require far more frequent assessments (at no extra cost to said members). This could lead to a division within members of Part P Schemes due to the differing levels of competence that is currently (very conveniently) glossed over.

I think grandfather rights are going out the window.

To be renewed as an Approved Electrician, you now require the 2391.

Spin,

I don't know about that, nor am I looking to contaradict etc., however, at least this is not like you said in your earlier post of "having to re-do your apprenticeship"!

So at least you seem to have "partial" grandfather rights!

I don't know, I think it is fairly conisistant.

The common belief is that sparks who have become qualified are now being asked to re-qualify. This new fangled NVQ malarky and the requirement to have the 2391 to renew Approved status.

I can understand the 2391 bit for approved, however, I think that the NVQ3 bit is unfair!

The old saying was that once you had a trade it could not be taken away.

So, in that case if sparks have to do this then it must be that all other trades must have to do this also.

Are they?

I very much doubt it!!!

I don't know that as yet it is a general requirement to obtain the NVQ, just a common belief.

However new applications for JIB cards now require the NVQ, and that provisional grading will be issued if the applicant has 2360, has completed an apprenticeship and has the AM2, or can show suitable experiance.

I don't know how long the provisional grading lasts, or what is required to make it not provisional.

Respect is earnt! Not expected becuase you are a certain age.I also think it is very disrespectful to degrade someones qualifications with no justification whatsoever. There is no old young divide here just a few daft comments.
Lighten up Sellars, did you not see the smiling face at the bottom of the post?

However your statement is popular amongst the younger generation. Age should bring a certain amount of respect, after all without the older generation you would have nothing to learn and no one to teach you.

Lighten up Sellars, did you not see the smiling face at the bottom of the post?However your statement is popular amongst the younger generation. Age should bring a certain amount of respect, after all without the older generation you would have nothing to learn and no one to teach you.
Sorry volti, got a bit miffed off with the whole NVQ dismisal.

I've got plenty of respect for the guys here who know this trade inside and out and I really appreciate that previous sparks have taught me a lot, age has no bearing on my respect though. Its down to the individual.

Just got my NVQ 3. I started doing sub contract and agency work last year after being made redundant. I'v found some firms arnt botherd about jib cards and some think its the be all and end all.