Odd Lighting fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Customer has called me to say that when his SON floodlight that I reinstalled starts up the lighting cct breaker trips. Go back check everthing out, Zs fine, IR >200Meg between all conductors, turn on floodlight no apparent problem, but notice inside fitting that cable has few strands missing at termination and so I replace cable as last resort and everything fine.

Customer then asks me to replace burnt out dimmer switch in bedroom feeding wall lights. No problem wont take long seens as I am here:) Replace with plate switch as I dont keep dimmers as spares. Then........

Circuit breaker trips, Ok I am bit perplexed as to what is going on???

Customer hears breaker trip and comes to see what is going on and informs me " oh their was a wall light that I took down last week, its behind that wardrobe."

I was a bit pixxed off with him really. he had cut the cables from the back of the fitting and twisted the Lives and neutrals together crearing short cct.

So now I am trying to work out what was causing this apparent fault with the floodlight or was it all made up to get me to sort out his electrickery dabbling with the wall light?

Customer was pulling your pud for you mate - he knew what the problem was........ ;) ]:)

As Mr. Evans says - "we`ve tried to change a light fitting / switch plate / consumer unit" (delete as appropriate)!!!Blushing

Worse when they won`t admit to having done anything - "It just started happening". You`ve spent all day looking for, and narrowing down this poxy fault, which YOU know has been caused by "meddling customers"X(

just re-read this post, and think it may be time to unearth the DYJHI....... thread?????

Bclearnersparks

You should've checked the cct after all burnt out dimmer, testing would've revealed phase neutral short.

id have bloody charged em to fix the problem cheeky gits.

had that one tried a few times.