Oh what should I do

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening all,

In a bit of a predicament.

Started a four year apprenticeship just under three years ago, as I had put myself through college and passed with high grades I was fast tracked. I passed my nvq 3 and am2 Last year. I put myself through 2391 and passed first time, but have no confidence in myself. The lad I work with rarely tests, just makes it up. (bosses son)

However, the other lads have been rotated, gaining experience with intruder alarms and camera installs and maint with fire alarm faults. I've only installed power circuits and fire alarms.

I'm low on skills for fault finding and alarm system maint. I've asked to be rotated numerous times, to no avail. (nothing to do with nepotism I'm sure) :(

Now the best bit, looks like I'll be on the rock and roll in 6 months. How can I improve my skill set if work won't give me experience?

A family members company may have a vacancy for a maintenance spark around the right time, but I know there are better lads out there for the job - a number of you guys for sure.

Any suggestions how I can improve myself and future employment chances.

I'm a 40 year old apprentice with our first baby on its way.

Thanks for any suggestions

See if anyone you know are doing any other electrical work on weekends and ask to tag along to learn in different areas ie: domestic commercial industrial. Hope this helps :)

There are lots of guys out there without alarm or CCTV experience.

I dont have a great knowledge of CCTV, but can do basic stuff, intruder alarms are pretty basic to pick up, as are FA, its the commissioning that is more involved so farm that bit out with the design.

Same as Gavin really, get chatting with a few one man bands who are willing to have you tag along at no cost to them when your available. You will undoubtedly get a wealth of experience like this. There may even be a forum member on here willing to have you tag along. May have to get your own liability insurance but it isn't that much.

I did try being a free hand before I got the apprenticeship, but found a fair bit of paranoia, as in "if I train you you'll set up in competition. "

I did work for free for around 5 months, (with a really nice guy,the one who may be retiring in the near future.) it was very helpful.

I did offer to work with one of our Intruder guys if he did any weekend work, but nothing came of it.

I think I'll have to have a last stab at rotation after the school we're doing is complete. Also send out some feelers, just seems there is so little happening, specially on weekends.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.

You know how to bang holes in walls and run cables, the rest isn't much more than plug and play. Every alarm has a manual, pick up some from internet sites and give them a read - it's nothing complicated. Fire alarms are the same, but prone to a few more little foibles. Get hold of literature, and read as much as you can, then have a go on your own house or neighbours or any other willing victim you can find. Oh and get technical help line phone numbers!!

jaysus philbas, your hardly next door,,,,,,,,,Ive got a council re-wire starting tomorrow if you want to come and rip it out for me, I'll buy you your bacon butty. :D
I am pretty much next door, but can,t do tomorrow, at the moment busy walking dogs around the peak district. but would like to get hands on soon.

I did offer to buy you beer,!

actually, that turned out funny that bit.!

as you know, we spent the food money on beer, and the rest,

the following week the boss said not to worry about giving him any change, that I could keep it as a bonus, as He had gave Mick an extra

Hi Pickleye,

To be honest, i think you sound just the type of person that would be an asset to ANY employer.. I am SURE something good will come along for you soon..

In the meantime, have a bit more confidence in yourself... I think you have done really well, you should be rightly proud of what you have achieved...

john...

Binky I recently added some additional sockets and lighting (via contactor from roller shutter so lights come on with door opening) to mates garage.

I'm currently rewiring my nieces house for free. I tried to talk her into installing an alarm but she's not interested :( I'm investing the time so if all goes wrong I can use it as an assessment job. (no jobs are not notified as "clients" refuse to pay labc, but they have certs for jobs.)

However self employed is not my favourite idea at all. Too many builders and plumbers wiring houses as competition.

Thanks John for your comments, my 2391 tutor said I have more ability than confidence. Also, past employers have always considered me a valued employee.

But when it comes to applying for a job, I'd like to confident at tackling most things rather than trying to blag my way through.