Old chestnuts of the trade .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done these before and make no excuses for doing them again as we have many new members .

These are misconceptions which I found widespread within the trade , you may not agree. I can only think of three as its late , others may know of more.

(1) The rating on an RCD (say 30A) does NOT mean it offers any overload protection. ( I found this to be widespread)

(2) Cooker /Shower MCBs do NOT Have to be placed next to the main switch in C/U.

(3) And YES you CAN pass a neutral through a light switch box.

Non-Fire rated down lighters are not more likely to catch fire than fire rated down lights

Last edited by a moderator:
What about the one where a 40A RCD is fitted in a circuit but needs changing as the CPD is rated lower.

......that the Main Protective Conductor to the incoming gas service has to be clamped onto the pipe inside the external meter box !

That ALL Architects, Consultants, Customers, Site Managers, Insurance companies, Manufacturers Instructions etc are CORRECT.....and that all Electricians are wrong

That '30 day terms of payment'...mean that the customer can pay whenever they feel 'up to it'

That BMXing is an Olympic Sport.... :coat

That England Ladies Hockey Team are soft.....[break your jaw, get it wired up, couple of paracetomols and play the next match...Footballer?, broken hair follicle gets sent to a Swiss Hospital for treatment]... :coat

That because it is Energy Efficient/Green it must be good and worth having

That Assessors are to be reveered and bowed down to

That your wiring is 'illegal'

That if you run a 4mm FTE through more than 500mm insulation and the OCPD is 20A then time itself will go into reverse and Posh Spice will learn to Smile AND Sing

That ALL Brits abroad are naturally innocent of all crimes that they are convicted of/jailed for

That we have a fraud free benefits system.....I had better stop now as the heat of the Sun has got to me........Nurse!.... :coat

They've always thought that and always will I think
Well this one has had his card marked! I am considering a load of metal swarf and filings mysteriously finding its way into his finish coat unless anyone has any better [more evil] ideas?

I considerd 'trowel edge adjustment' or 'sticky up screw heads' or an adjustment/addition to his mixing water............... :coat

that electricians are somehow better than any other trades like plumbers etc, ooooooo controversial!!!

......that the Main Protective Conductor to the incoming gas service has to be clamped onto the pipe inside the external meter box !
its not in our regs but apparently it is in the gas regs so iv bin told