old consumer unit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinnet

Reaction score
Looked at a job yesterday had a old fuseboard but someone had put a RCD in front of it. Where do i stand its an old fuseboard that should be changed but it has got RCD protection.

Expect to be asked for more information on this one. What makes you think the board should be changed? Post up about the set up you have there as in:

- Incoming earth type

- Details of the new RCD as in what amperage and what mA rating i.e. 30mA, 100mA,is it a time delay type etc.

- What consumer unit is it, metalclad or insulated, what breakers are fitted etc.

Sure to get some help if a bit more info given. Pictures if you have them

Plenty of installs out there with an up front RCD as protection (mine for instance) BUT by modern thinking it would be good to change mainly as with this if the RCD trips you lose all circuits.

Agree with Onoff; also need some information on the

earthing arrangement, whether RCD is double pole or

single pole, also current rating of RCD compared to the

anticipated maximum demand as stated.

Does it have circuit breakers or BS3036?

Have you reads on Ze and fault currents.

I've had similiar and ideally customer will change it , mines in an extension project which is gonna be a large cost for the customer already so chucking more money at a fuseboard and putting any poor DIY findings right is probably not appealing to them(as much as I advise them things like the socket added in 1.0mm flex isn't a good start!)

So as the RCD is fine I'll be simply running a new lighting cct and a new ring circuit to extension - job done... Not the way I'd like but you can't force customer to change it and I don't think there's a reg which your contravening by not doing it???

Looked at a job yesterday had a old fuseboard but someone had put a RCD in front of it. Where do i stand its an old fuseboard that should be changed but it has got RCD protection.
Welcome to the forum, why do you say the fuseboard should be changed? what work were you actually quoting for? BS3036 wire fuses are still a compliant form of protection providing Zs is met. Is the fuse box physically damaged with exposed live parts? or blanks missing exposing bus-bar? It is only your new work that has to comply to current regulations. There are no obligations to the existing installation not affected by your alterations, unless the client has requested you to bring it all up to current standards.

Doc H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the answers .The fuses are 3036 and the RCD is double pole 80 amp so i can see where your come in from if the Zs is met,it just seems an old board to a young lad like me.All im doing is adding some spots in kitchen off the old circuit I just thought i would have to use a new MCB.

THANKS GUYS

It's good that your thinking about it though young lad!!

Good luck....

Thanks for the answers .The fuses are 3036 and the RCD is double pole 80 amp so i can see where your come in from if the Zs is met,it just seems an old board to a young lad like me.All im doing is adding some spots in kitchen off the old circuit I just thought i would have to use a new MCB.THANKS GUYS
In these situations it can sometimes be best to just do the work you are asked to do, but advise the customer that their old CU whilst not unsafe, is not as safe as a modern fuse box with convenient MCB switch fuses. Suggest it would be prudent to consider getting it replaced in the next 12 to 18 months and ask if they would like you to provided an estimate or quote for replacement. Are you aware that the lighting in the kitchen will be notifiable Part P work as a special location, and if the spot lamps are 12v they are also notifiable as a special installation.

Doc H.

IIRC the only problems that you might come across with 3036's are the 0.7(ish) derating factor and that 2.5/1.0mm T&E is non compliant.... If you swap them for 60898 plugins (after appropriate testing)then these problems are no more:)

So much to think about just for some downlights
It is! You have to check these things, imagine if there was no main earth, nails for fuses and the customer killed themselves when changing a lamp? It would be you for the prison showers.

In these situations it can sometimes be best to just do the work you are asked to do, but advise the customer that their old CU whilst not unsafe, is not as safe as a modern fuse box with convenient MCB switch fuses. Suggest it would be prudent to consider getting it replaced in the next 12 to 18 months and ask if they would like you to provided an estimate or quote for replacement. Are you aware that the lighting in the kitchen will be notifiable Part P work as a special location, and if the spot lamps are 12v they are also notifiable as a special installation.Doc H.
You can also include the point that a single upfront RCD will interrupt all ccts, and they may prefer a dual RCD, or even hi-integ board, to avoid nuisance trips.........