Old CU pictures

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of an old CU I had, in case you're interested :)

box.jpg

open.jpg

neutrals.jpg

back.jpg

I think you could have got a few more years out of those cables. I changed one similar and the insulation was falling off.

Batty

There are many of them mem boxes still in use.

Used throughout the 1960's they still work, and the workmanship and craftmanship that went into them is still unrivalled.

However they are too bloody old to be used in todays age :)

Why are all the cpc's connected into a phase? (last pic)
I think that's just a trick of the photo angle - I will check tonight.

As for you Special Location Esq., you should be deeply ashamed.

Get your featherduster out at once!

:D

I've got one exactly the same (two infact large & small) except it's lead sheathed cables on the ones I've stripped out.

I should have got some good pics from the property, as the old original wood trunking was still in place & in use under the floor & around doors (used as architrave), as was some of the old canvas singles in the trunking. All the switches were either bakerlite or ceramic & sockets were switched by the use of a bakerlite switch wired next to each socket.

We found an old players navy cut packet under the floor with fags still in it & a stubby pencil & suspect it was the sparks as the pack had same tape around it that the wiring had in places. Also found lable for the original lead cable with hand written names & date of Feb 1937 listed on the back.

We found an old players navy cut packet under the floor with fags still in it & a stubby pencil & suspect it was the sparks as the pack had same tape around it that the wiring had in places. Also found lable for the original lead cable with hand written names & date of Feb 1937 listed on the back.
Wow, I hope you kept them (with houseowners permission, of course)?