old megger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revjames

'funny' man™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
having a clearout and just come across my old megger 70143 wind up megger (500V 200Mohm) complete with case. Probably 60s or 70s although has blue plastic casing not bakelite. Seems a shame to bin it.

I have no use for it.

Is it worth anything?

Anyone on here want it?

I have got an old Avometer that was given to me by an old ex army engineer (2nd world war). I go to his house when I can to cut his grass as nobody else will do it even though his family dont live far from him!!

What should be a 10 min job to cut the grass ends up in being a 2 hour visit as he always :put the kettle on makes a tea, tells me his war time stories. then asks how are you getting on with that old Avo of mine?

I havent got the heart to tell him i have never used it so just say its great thanks;)

Robin,

Would that be an 8?

If so I'm looking for one, very useful in my line.

Good also for measuring "true" voltages, and not getting fooled by these induced transients that the DMM's etc. get fooled by!

Last edited by a moderator:
Robin,Would that be an 8?

Good also for measuring "true" voltages, and not getting fooled by these induced transients that the DMM's etc. get fooled by!
I think it is an AVO 8 however not sure what MK version though. But I wouldnt feel right passing it on as I have been friends with this old guy quite a long time.

I have got an old Avometer that was given to me by an old ex army engineer (2nd world war). I go to his house when I can to cut his grass as nobody else will do it even though his family dont live far from him!!What should be a 10 min job to cut the grass ends up in being a 2 hour visit as he always :put the kettle on makes a tea, tells me his war time stories. then asks how are you getting on with that old Avo of mine?

I havent got the heart to tell him i have never used it so just say its great thanks;)
Nice one Robin. :Applaud

I think it is an AVO 8 however not sure what MK version though. But I wouldnt feel right passing it on as I have been friends with this old guy quite a long time.
That's fine mate I'm a bit sentimental myself so I appreciate your slant.

Robin,Would that be an 8?

Sidewinder i think we have an very old wind up Megger at the office, I will check it out on monday and let you know what model it is.

I have an Avo 8 Mk 4 Panclimatic model. The one with a metal outer case, and everything inside is hermetically sealed. Weighs about twice as much as a standard Avo 8.

we were taught to use avo 8s at college, my tutor used to be in the army so went on about them all the time.

i thought they went for alot of money on ebay as they are antiques!

oooohhh the nostalgia, I posted a few picks a while back of some of my old testers.

I think my son broke my megger, he hated it when he was 4. :

To be honest I used the old stuff right up to 95, I just did not trust digital read outs. Now ? I wish I had changed earlier I may have saved some of my eyesight :)

Sidewinder i think we have an very old wind up Megger at the office, I will check it out on monday and let you know what model it is.
Mark,

It's an AVO8 I'm after not a megger sorry mate!

Analogue Multi Meter Mk8 would be nice!

I have got an old Avometer that was given to me by an old ex army engineer (2nd world war). I go to his house when I can to cut his grass as nobody else will do it even though his family dont live far from him!!What should be a 10 min job to cut the grass ends up in being a 2 hour visit as he always :put the kettle on makes a tea, tells me his war time stories. then asks how are you getting on with that old Avo of mine?

Great stuff there Robin ....your a Star ! :Applaud

One thing about any tool is that when you are used to using them its hard to break the habbit.

I know many people still argue anologue over digital, but it is only because they have faith and trust in what they see, because they have been so right in previous tests.

Good thread, makes us all think about the old days.