Old Style Danfoss House Thermostst

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plotnine

Reaction score
I have an old style Danfoss thermostat that i wnat to replace. The old one is model 055F0011 and is bi metal strip complete with an accelerator.

My choice of a new stst is danfoss TP 5000si

The old switch has three wires in , L N and a signal wire and the circuit diagram inside the case shows that L and N  are connected by the bimetal strip with an accelerator.

Does it make sense to connect L to N creating a short?? 

Does anyone have a leaflet or tell me where i might find one on the web so that i can be sure not to connect  the new unit incorrectly.

thanks for any help

plotnine

The neutral is there to 'stabalise' the strip, keeping the temp steady to stop it clicking on and off rapidly whe n near the correct temp. It will work without though. On some newer stats there is also a neon/led also connected to show when the heating is on.

The TP 5000si is available in several versions, if you really want one, I suggest you don't buy the radio version. Any room stat that runs on batteries, the batteries will fail when you have no spare batteries in the house. (Voice of experience)

I gave up with all them "new fangled gizmos" and went back to a normal stat, much easier and less hassle (Well, it was for us)

I had an old TP5000 for years at my old house worked great with loads of programable teperature periods. Just use the Live and switched live and terminate the Neutral into a terminal block in the back of the box. Batterys last a couple of years or more but as said no battery no heating 

Thanks for the info and suggestions up to this point. Could i ask Sidewinder who said he would look up the details of my existing old thermostat to post any detail he has on this unit.

Thanks

David 

Thanks for the info and suggestions up to this point. Could i ask Sidewinder who said he would look up the details of my existing old thermostat to post any detail he has on this unit.

Thanks

David 
Why not take the advice you got when you asked this same question on another forum?