Old style fuse box?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was shocked when I visited a relative in a rental property in Kent a few weeks ago and there was not a single smoke or CO alarm in the property.  Either there are some bad landlords, or the required standards are woefully inadequate.
They are just looking at following Scotland with this  ....BUT   ...they are talking about NOT using an electrical contractor  BUT  a newly formed body of testing "experts"  .

I have already written to my MP   ...also the MP in the area of the Seaward factory  (Who is backing it)    and my  previous MP  , now Lord Rooker  .      The first two ignored me   ( Not unusual for my MP)     only reply from Lord Rooker  who would watch for the bill when it goes through the Lords . 

all noted on my invoice, never heard back from them ….
In fairness an invoice was hardly the appropriate documentation to make such observations and recommendations. They probably only looked at it to determine what was owed and payment details. A letter along with it or an Electrical Danger Notification or something similar would have been much more appropriate, and may have caused them to act. (Also, you don't know whether they contacted another Electrician about these things.)

In fairness an invoice was hardly the appropriate documentation to make such observations and recommendations. They probably only looked at it to determine what was owed and payment details. A letter along with it or an Electrical Danger Notification or something similar would have been much more appropriate, and may have caused them to act. (Also, you don't know whether they contacted another Electrician about these things.)

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

I do know that they paid my invoice and by BACs - to do this they would have head to read my invoice to make the payment

A danger notice wasn't appropriate ........ and yes they could have contacted other sparks.

I've done much more than most sparks would do so I'm content with my approach.

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

I do know that they paid my invoice and by BACs - to do this they would have head to read my invoice to make the payment

A danger notice wasn't appropriate ........ and yes they could have contacted other sparks.

I've done much more than most sparks would do so I'm content with my approach.
My point wasn't that they wouldn't need to look at your invoice for payment details. It was that they would have skipped over anything else just looking for the salient information, i.e. amount, payment terms, BIC and IBAN or Sort Code and Account Number.

I'm not criticising what you have done but honestly don't believe that an invoice is the place for that kind of information.

I don't see that an Electrical Danger Notification is inappropriate, at least for the lack of main bonding.

The letting agent we went through are quite good at getting things sorted, all new smoke alarms fitted just as we moved in for example.

The 'How to rent a safe home' booklet they gave us in our welcome pack states that landlords have a legal duty to make sure electrical installations are safe and in good working order and it 'soon' will become mandatory to test it every 5 years. So hopefully they can provide proof it has been tested recently or I will request it.

Unfortunately as letting agents are generally employed by landlords, if they kick up too much of a fuss over electrical safety and compliance with BS7671, then the landlord just changes letting agent!

I am hoping this is someone who has only just gone into the landlord/rental sector, so is a bit naive around BS7671 & electrical safety. As if they have been operating for more than a couple of years, they really should have addressed the consumer unit/RCD issues that most competent electricians would have identified during industry standard inspection & testing.

Doc H. 

Unfortunately as letting agents are generally employed by landlords, if they kick up too much of a fuss over electrical safety and compliance with BS7671, then the landlord just changes letting agent!

I am hoping this is someone who has only just gone into the landlord/rental sector, so is a bit naive around BS7671 & electrical safety. As if they have been operating for more than a couple of years, they really should have addressed the consumer unit/RCD issues that most competent electricians would have identified during industry standard inspection & testing.

Doc H. 

Apparently the previous tenant was here for 10+ years and was a 'handyman' so fixed things himself rather than contacting the landlord, so I imagine the landlord hasn't thought about the house for a long time.

Apparently the previous tenant was here for 10+ years and was a 'handyman' so fixed things himself rather than contacting the landlord, so I imagine the landlord hasn't thought about the house for a long time.

So in my opinion the landlord, (and presumably any agents acting on behalf of the landlord), have been neglecting their basic duty of care toward their tenant(s) with regard to electrical safety for several years. I would be very concerned with that previous track record, as I doubt they will like having to spend any money to bring the installation up to a condition that can be considered as satisfactory for continual use. 

Doc H. 

So in my opinion the landlord, (and presumably any agents acting on behalf of the landlord), have been neglecting their basic duty of care toward their tenant(s) with regard to electrical safety for several years. I would be very concerned with that previous track record, as I doubt they will like having to spend any money to bring the installation up to a condition that can be considered as satisfactory for continual use. 

Doc H. 

Whilst I do agree with you, letting agents know there is no need for mandatory electrical tests in England now, so nothing gets done unless the landlord is happy to spend the money.

and if mandatory eicr gets legalised then the quality will no doubt go down.

scotland has mandatory checks but not everybody knows about it, or has it done.

Whilst I do agree with you, letting agents know there is no need for mandatory electrical tests in England now, so nothing gets done unless the landlord is happy to spend the money.

and if mandatory eicr gets legalised then the quality will no doubt go down.

scotland has mandatory checks but not everybody knows about it, or has it done.

Hmmm...…...

Some of the problem is also half-soaked tenants not bothering to double check what they should be getting when renting a property!

And.. any half decent landlord / letting agent will have a basic grasp of what is generally accepted as good practice even though it's not compulsory...

I actually think that a large proportion do actually try to do a good job and meet all obligations, even if they are non-statutory...

It is just the minority who try to 'swing-the-lead' and pretend not to know about things that are easily googled!

Personally me and Mrs Spec-Loc have never rented any property... (other than short-term holiday home)..

BUT.. with five children (youngest now 22) who have ALL been though the University treadmill..

We have seen a fair few rented properties..  [typically I have had to act as guarantor for the tenancy]

Some courses involving multiple landlords and/or multiple universities..

Including landlords in, Loughborough, Bath, Southampton, Egham, Sheffield, Portsmouth..

In every case if it has not already been supplied I have asked for a copy of a current EIC or EICR..

Either the landlord or agent have all supplied an e-mailed copy within a couple of days without any problem.

And since leaving Uni, One is still living in rented accommodation, (different to Uni property). One was renting an additional property but has since bought their own house this year..

Another has been through two new rented properties and is still renting now.

I know it is still just a small sample, but on the whole all the landlords/agents we have been involved with are actually genuinely  trying to do the right thing!

But the OP's scenario sounds really, really, really, dubious and a bit Cowboy'ish to me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek: :mellow:

:coat

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts