one junction box two spurs

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmie74

Reaction score
Hello every one, i've been reading the books and i can't see anything about this and wandered if you lot had any ideas, opinions, info or reg numbers.

Utility room requires one double socket and a light in adjacent cupboard. The closest circuit is the up stairs ring. So could I run an unfused spur to a double socket from a junction box in 2.5 T&E, and another length of 2.5T&E to an FCU for the light from the same junction box on the ring?

The jb would be an ashley hager 803,30 amp maintenance free box. I know I could fit a JB next the the first and go to the FCU for light but surely it's the same principle.

run to an un switched fuse spur 1st , then to skt , then to switched fuse spur for light

hth

Hello every one, i've been reading the books and i can't see anything about this and wandered if you lot had any ideas, opinions, info or reg numbers.Utility room requires one double socket and a light in adjacent cupboard. The closest circuit is the up stairs ring. So could I run an unfused spur to a double socket from a junction box in 2.5 T&E, and another length of 2.5T&E to an FCU for the light from the same junction box on the ring?

The jb would be an ashley hager 803,30 amp maintenance free box. I know I could fit a JB next the the first and go to the FCU for light but surely it's the same principle.
Technically what you propose is wrong. I'd either extend the ring (sounds excessive for the expected load) or take a spur in 2.5 to a 13A unswitched FCU then from that you can run a socket and switched FCU, and in 1.5, wired however you like.

Would he not be ok if he used fcus to each spur ?
He could do, but I doubt that would be needed as 13A for a socket and light should be ample. If you used 2 FCU's all you'd be doing is creating an extra 60W of capacity on the socket, which would hardly be worth the effort and you'd still have to get the ring to the 2 FCU's, so no work saved as you might as well take the ring or 2 separate spurs to the 2 additional points anyway.

Easiest method is spur to FCU then on to whatever you want in a radial fashion.

I am looking to do the same thing. I have an underfloor junction box which has 1 spur providing power to a single socket. I am looking to have another single socket running from the same junction box if possible via 2.5mm T&E. Can I do this?

No. You need to break into the ring at another point (either at another accessory that has not been spured off already or a new junction box if the joints accessable otherwise maininance free connections like wago's).

I am looking to do the same thing. I have an underfloor junction box which has 1 spur providing power to a single socket. I am looking to have another single socket running from the same junction box if possible via 2.5mm T&E. Can I do this?
If you pass the cable from the junction box into a fused connection unit and then seperately to the two sockets you would be ok. Could run it in 1.5mm T&E on a 13A fuse.

So, why is it not ok to spur from an existing JB that is part of the ring, supplying another spur?

Although technically incorrect, i cant see an issue with it?

Maybe but if i ask on there, they will blind me with bullsh1t.

I just thought someone may know on here.

I suspect (without knowing) its nothing more complicated than not leaving any doubt that 2 accessories should NOT be fed from a spur from a ring. If they were to say its ok to have 2 wires comming from a JB (or any other sccessory on a ring) to 2 seperate rings it may lead to confusion and people could think that multiple spured accessories are ok and forget about the 'when fed via seperate connections' part and spur off of spurs.

So, why is it not ok to spur from an existing JB that is part of the ring, supplying another spur?Although technically incorrect, i cant see an issue with it?
2.5mm ring main on a 30A MCB, break into ring 1 spur add three double sockets for new utitilyty room, washer, dryer, kettle, pannel heater

Now we have a single run of 2.5mm pulling quite a lot of amps, and may overload the wire.

Since a double socket is rated at only 13A (this has been discussed before at length) then that is your protection

(I appreciate that you could physically connect more than 13A to a double socket)

Simpler to say 'NO'!

Think you missed what he asked Patch. He was asking about 2 seperate spurs running independant 2.5 back to a single JB instead of 2 JB's.

Think you missed what he asked Patch. He was asking about 2 seperate spurs running independant 2.5 back to a single JB instead of 2 JB's.
mmm, I see.

Could just extend the ring to both sockets?

Not sure its that simple as I believe the senario is one spur already exists off the JB but that doesnt mean that the new socket could not be incorporated into the ring by running 2 cables to the new socket and putting in a 2nd JB if one of the current ring wires isn't long enough to reach the new socket.

TBH and not wanting to offend anyone but running 2 cables from 1 JB is just lazy and probably best done using 2 JB's and extending the ring to as least the new socket.

Not sure its that simple as I believe the senario is one spur already exists off the JB but that doesnt mean that the new socket could not be incorporated into the ring by running 2 cables to the new socket and putting in a 2nd JB if one of the current ring wires isn't long enough to reach the new socket.TBH and not wanting to offend anyone but running 2 cables from 1 JB is just lazy and probably best done using 2 JB's and extending the ring to as least the new socket.
Or 1 JB* ;)

* 6 terminals ;)

Latest posts