One of those days

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davetheglitz

Electrician
Reaction score
Feeling really stupid!

Jump starting my partners van. Connected up the leads. Lots of sparks! Repeated a couple of times - spring clip on croc clip fused and plastic melted and set alight. Only then did I realise that there is a green and yellow warning label on the live terminal of the battery in my car - and I assumed that this meant it was chassis earth.

I've tried to blame it on my varifocals and poor access to the battery - but I'm not sure I've got away with it! NUMPTY!

Feeling really stupid!Jump starting my partners van. Connected up the leads. Lots of sparks! Repeated a couple of times - spring clip on croc clip fused and plastic melted and set alight. Only then did I realise that there is a green and yellow warning label on the live terminal of the battery in my car - and I assumed that this meant it was chassis earth.

I've tried to blame it on my varifocals and poor access to the battery - but I'm not sure I've got away with it! NUMPTY!
Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

Do you need a vet to show you how it's done? ;)

+ to +

- to earth

Don't feel stupid Glitzy, how about this one ?

In the mid 70s we were asked to link the fire alarms between two schools on the same site. One old system one the latest. Worked it out , ran MICCs between the buildings and fitted some relays. Would'nt work, four sparks tormented for two days .look at the drawing , it has to work ! no it dos'nt !

We finally realise that we are trying to switch a relay coil with a positive from one school and a neg, from the other . ooooh no !! Four of us could'nt see it.

So don't feel so bad Glitz it might be the first ime but it wont be the last !!

Deke

Hey Dave, do not be down. We are all only human at the end of the day & all of us are prone to the odd blonde moment. :)

Sometimes we sub-consiously overlook the blatently obvious.

It's called "being human". ;)

I had to jump start my car the other day with a booster pack. As i squeezed one of the crocks the plastic split and the spring and half the clip shot over the fence into my neighbours garden. I ended up hammering the bit of the clip left under the battery clamp.

i had to bump start my mates tranny van a few weeks ago, back and forward up his road at 7am

i was ****ed all day