Ottermill 3ph switch fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NozSpark

Seaman stains™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know where I can get hold of some spare parts for an Ottermill 100A 3ph switch fuse??

I was called out to a cafe at a local Fransican friary... the cafe had lost power! I traced the fault down to a burnt out termination at the L2 fuse holder and was able to move the sub onto the spare L3 phase.

Obviously I'd like to carry out a more permanent repair and get the cafe back on the phase that it came off... If not I might have to replace the whole switch fuse.... they have maybe 8 of these in total :eek:

I think that I might also have to recommend that they have a thermal survey done of the rest of their switch gear

That would be a good idea, Ottermill is fantastic switchgear but it’s getting on a bit.

A thermal scan showed up a hot ACB isolating contact, it took me four hours to dig my way in to change it. The root cause? It hadn’t had any maintenance since the day it was installed.

Yeh,,, it was already bent when I got there..... Also they had managed to open the door without turning it off....

Door interlock misaligned !!!!!!!

and yes... it needs a new fuse base, knife and shield (as a minimum)

Yeh,,, it was already bent when I got there..... Also they had managed to open the door without turning it off....

Door interlock misaligned !!!!!!!

and yes... it needs a new fuse base, knife and shield (as a minimum)

Let me know how you go on with the switchdoctor.

In a way I find it annoying that the switchdoctor has been around for years. Every time I needed spares our buying department would come back with company XYZ is out of business, you’ll have to butcher old kit.

Allen West, original spares still available.

Ottermill, remanufactured spares still available.

English Electric, original spares still available.

George Ellison, remanufactured spares still available.

BTH, remanufactured spares still available.

Reyrolle, remanufactured spares still available.

Let me know how you go on with the switchdoctor.

In a way I find it annoying that the switchdoctor has been around for years. Every time I needed spares our buying department would come back with company XYZ is out of business, you’ll have to butcher old kit.

Allen West, original spares still available.

Ottermill, remanufactured spares still available.

English Electric, original spares still available.

George Ellison, remanufactured spares still available.

BTH, remanufactured spares still available.

Reyrolle, remanufactured spares still available.

Here's the reply that I got from the switch doctor,,,, very quick response, but not quite the one I was after :(

Hi Nick,

We do not hold any spares for this type of wall mounted switch fuse.

Regards

I had to replace the link on the L3 fuse.... I'm afraid that I only had some blue 25mm tails available :( but obviously the L2 phase fuse base had burnt out (including the link and knife),,,, but the L1 phase isn't looking fantastic either

RS do them for £165 (883-7049)

I'm guessing that you've linked to the same thing that Quackers (above) linked to......... is it good enough for a thermal survey???

I could easily work that price into the job :)

Rollocks! OK lets start again, the fuse holders, switch blades and terminals I’m certain I’ve seen before in another make of switch probably BILL Royal. Like many things, factories ABC made the bits, DEF put them in their own housing. Let me ponder on it.

It may be easier and cheaper to swap it entirely and keep the useful bits for the future. There is a company I know of that will make them for you in exchange for an arm and a leg.

Rollocks! OK lets start again, the fuse holders, switch blades and terminals I’m certain I’ve seen before in another make of switch probably BILL Royal. Like many things, factories ABC made the bits, DEF put them in their own housing. Let me ponder on it.

It may be easier and cheaper to swap it entirely and keep the useful bits for the future. There is a company I know of that will make them for you in exchange for an arm and a leg.

I'd rather not have to swap it if I can get away with it,,, but I'd really like to get the sub back on the L2 phase.... If I have to I could possibly move the L3 components over to L2 as it's a spare way anyway.

and it'd be a pig of a job as the switch fuse is sat on top of a 5 foot long busbar chamber with metal clad 10 way wylex standard directly on top of it.... the switch fuses seem to be only connected to the  busbar chamber and wylex with brass bushings and is attached to nothing else (sort of hanging in the air)

.... IIRC there are at least 8 switch fuses coming off the busbar chamber (4 above and 4 below)... and I remember seeing at least 2 x 10way metal clad wylex standards

TBH isolating the busbar chamber will end up being quite a task as it seems that this incomer will supply the entire friary