Outbuilding

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I right in thinking that with a metal gas pipe that doesn’t come into contact with earth doesn’t need to be bonded ? 

ie . if a buildings gas supply comes in via a metal pipe but is fed from a gas Cylinder. 

If in any doubt with any metal parts, measure their continuity to earth see if it could be extraneous....

i.e. Think is it possible for this pipe to introduce an earth potential that could provide a path for a current greater than 30ma in the event of a fault..?

e.g. If there was say 4000ohms, (4k), path to electrical earth...  Then it has ability to have approx. 60ma fault current!

Basic principle of covering your ar5e.... 

Rather than guess and maybe miss part of the pipe run, where it does actually have some low continuity to earth..

If you have measured,  it removes any possibility of you being wrong.

:coffee     

If in any doubt with any metal parts, measure their continuity to earth see if it could be extraneous....

i.e. Think is it possible for this pipe to introduce an earth potential that could provide a path for a current greater than 30ma in the event of a fault..?

e.g. If there was say 4000ohms, (4k), path to electrical earth...  Then it has ability to have approx. 60ma fault current!

Basic principle of covering your ar5e.... 

Rather than guess and maybe miss part of the pipe run, where it does actually have some low continuity to earth..

If you have measured,  it removes any possibility of you being wrong.

:coffee     
oh right. When measured the gas pipe to the main earthing conductor it’s 700 ohms. 

oh right. When measured the gas pipe to the main earthing conductor it’s 700 ohms.  

In this case you need to bond it..

So far as i can remember, if you test between the part in question and the MET if it is ABOVE 22,000 ohms, then it is fine, and if it is BELOW this it needs to be bonded..

I would imagine it would be best to test with an insulation tester rather than just a continuity test, but i am not sure if this would be correct OR if the meter would even read properly that low.. Ask the others, they will know FAR better than me!!!

john..

I suppose the figue might vary as you say, but i would imagine that the 22,000 ohms figure gives enough margind for some changes.. This figure is chosen so that as can be seen by dividing 230/22,000 = 0.010 the shock a perosn would get would only be about 10 mA. This is apparently the level of shock that can be felt but is well short of the 30mA that is deemed to be the "safe level"

So far as i know, in palces where persons may be all wet and so make better contact with the extraneous part the figure would be raised to more like 40,000 ohms...

john..

If say you add an outside light to a fuse spur (3A fuse) when you test it are you just testing from the light to fuse spur or are you testing from the light back to the board. This new light would be the furthest point on the circuit. 

Thanks you have answered it - I was having a blank . I need to test the circuit. The whole of it. Are we meant to test the circuit before we do the work before we do the work to check it’s OK but then check after we do the work to to make sure the work that we carry out is safe ? or do people just test after the work. 

. Are we meant to test the circuit before we do the work before we do the work to check it’s OK but then check after we do the work to to make sure the work that we carry out is safe ? or do people just test after the work. 
RE testing, depends on the age and visual condition of the building , plus the type of cable installed. If it’s VIR, I’ll decline to quote

too many variables tbh to give a single answer, then there are lighting circuits which may not have a CPC too ......

ps you would probably do better to start a new topic for each job ... 

Last edited by a moderator:
15 LEDs is a lot of switch on surge, I've had trouble with 9 on one switch. 
You can divide among several switches to split the surge in time (but its likely the breaker will still trip after a power cut / interuption) or if they are dimmable run them through a soft start type LED dimmer (probably 3 groups will do it) which WILL work after a power cut

RE testing, depends on the age and visual condition of the building , plus the type of cable installed. If it’s VIR, I’ll decline to quote

too many variables tbh to give a single answer, then there are lighting circuits which may not have a CPC too ......

ps you would probably do better to start a new topic for each job ... 

thanks Murdoch - Yes fully appreciate that I should start a new topic but I then get a lot of ‘ you should know that’ when here I have explained that I am really new etc. I really do appreciate all your guys input. 

thanks Murdoch - Yes fully appreciate that I should start a new topic but I then get a lot of ‘ you should know that’ when here I have explained that I am really new etc. I really do appreciate all your guys input. 
that makes no sense what so ever .... just start a seperate thread, and offer up your thoughts and answer points put to you ....... try it next time, but if you offer no answers and expect to be spoon fed , then don’t be surprised if you get criticised 

I doubt many people are going to go back a re-read pages of earlier posts to work out your full context and background...

More likely just get confused by a thread supposedly about outbuilding's....?   :C

I doubt many people are going to go back a re-read pages of earlier posts to work out your full context and background...

More likely just get confused by a thread supposedly about outbuilding's....?   :C
No fair point. Thanks 

that makes no sense what so ever .... just start a seperate thread, and offer up your thoughts and answer points put to you ....... try it next time, but if you offer no answers and expect to be spoon fed , then don’t be surprised if you get criticised 
Ok fair point . I’ll take that on board. 

Back on the subject of outbuildings. 

In regards to when an outbuilding has a new CU installed ( fed from a MCB in a house) with a lighting circuit and a ring main. on a Electrical Installation certificate is this Classed as a new installation ? Or a addition to an existing installation ? 

I think it’s new but then it’s also part of a existing installation as it’s connected to the house ? 

Your thoughts ?