Outdoor socket and other cables in same conduit?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhuk01

Reaction score
I currently have an outdoor socket attached to the garage wall (power fed from another socket in the garage). I want to move the socket to the other side of a new patio and have put a flexible conduit under the patio so that I can feed an SWA cable under for the new socket.

I'm thinking to put some kind of junction box on the garage wall where the socket was, with conduit then going down the wall to the flexible conduit (with a junction box in-between). I have a couple of external appliances (robot lawnmower and lighting) - can I plug these into the socket in the garage and feed the cable down the same conduit as the SWA cable, then come out of a junction box with a gland?

I hope that makes sense - I guess essentially I'm asking if I can run ordinary appliance cable and an SWA cable going to a socket in the same conduit. The length is for this is less than 2 metres.

This will be the cleanest looking solution, but I want to make sure I'm not doing something unsafe or breaking regs. I think I can move the socket without an electrician involved as I'm not adding anything new?

Many thanks!

why are you using SWA? not that its wrong to use SWA but you then want to use flex to feed the lights and charger unit, I cant see where the logic is, if you think you need SWA, why would you think flex would be OK

why are you using SWA? not that its wrong to use SWA but you then want to use flex to feed the lights and charger unit, I cant see where the logic is, if you think you need SWA, why would you think flex would be OK
I guess as it’s in the outdoors (albeit in a conduit). So with flex would it be ok doing what I originally asked?

Flex is ok for short runs outside but offers no mechanical protection , I don't understand why if you are already using SWA, why would you think flex would be OK

one other thing, how big is this conduit?

I think I am also a bit confused as Poni is???

Plus the lack of detail regarding the current rating and type of the OCPD...
The CSA of conductors...
The R1+R2 and/or Zs of the existing & proposed circuit amendments...
The RCD type and testing methods to verify it will disconnect the supply fast enough in the event of a fault....

All leave it a bit vague to offer any deffinitve answer?

Can you offer more detail?

I guess as it’s in the outdoors (albeit in a conduit). So with flex would it be ok doing what I originally asked?
It's all 240V cabling so in answer to your question there's not an issue with what you propose. I would say it doesn't sound like the best option. Could you not just plug in your lawn mower and lights into an external socket?