Outside socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony-C

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm looking for some advice.

I have a static caravan, and recently, when I visit I have taken to using the granny charger overnight with a cable passed through a window.

Ideally, I would like an externally rated socket attatched to my deck for this purpose.

Once the socket is fitted, I was hoping to run 2.5mm armoured cable from the outside socket under and into the van, with an RCD plug attached at the other end of the cable.

This means I can simply plug the RCD plug into a spare, out of the way socket in the caravan, which in turn is easily isolated when I am not on site.

The caravan is only four years old, so I would presume the electrics are up to date.

I had a look online and can easily buy the 2.5mm, 3 core armoured cable at my required length. The outdoor rated socket is also easily available.

The RCD plug I looked at was the 'Masterplug' but this will only take cable up to a diameter of 1.5mm and overall diameter of 10mm.

Can I ask, is my setup overkill, how can adapt the configuration to suit my needs?

I have tried to include as much relevant information as possible, nothing worse that half a story 😁

Many thanks for any advice given 👍

(a) Do I read this that you are considering connecting a 2.5mm armoured cable directly onto a 13A plug?

(b) Why are you thinking of 2.5mm CSA for a load of max 13A over such a short run?

(c) Plugs, are designed for connecting flexible conductors not solid conductors.

(d) Standard 13A 3pin plugs are only designed for maximum load of 13A.. hence why they have no need for accommodating larger 'e.g. 2.5mm' conductors.

(e) The whole of the caravan is protected by a 30ma RCD..

(f) If access is easy enough then you could take an armoured cable directly into the consumer unit which has spare capacity.

(g) Reducing the number of joints / plug & socket connections is good design practice as it minimises the potential areas of overheating failure due to a bad joint.

(h) Armoured cables do need to be correctly terminated with suitable glands not just bodged though an hole in an accessory with some PVC tape wrapped around the armour, (which I have come across far too often!)

As I have used the granny charger for my EV with no problems, all I was attempting to do was put a permanent outside extension that I could isolate.

As the cable will be run under the caravan I thought the armoured one would be better.

(a) Do I read this that you are considering connecting a 2.5mm armoured cable directly onto a 13A plug?

(b) Why are you thinking of 2.5mm CSA for a load of max 13A over such a short run?

(c) Plugs, are designed for connecting flexible conductors not solid conductors.

(d) Standard 13A 3pin plugs are only designed for maximum load of 13A.. hence why they have no need for accommodating larger 'e.g. 2.5mm' conductors.

(e) The whole of the caravan is protected by a 30ma RCD..

(f) If access is easy enough then you could take an armoured cable directly into the consumer unit which has spare capacity.

(g) Reducing the number of joints / plug & socket connections is good design practice as it minimises the potential areas of overheating failure due to a bad joint.

(h) Armoured cables do need to be correctly terminated with suitable glands not just bodged though an hole in an accessory with some PVC tape wrapped around the armour, (which I have come across far too often!)
As the ring mains is 2.5mm I thought it best to go with same size of cable, I know overkill but it isn't over a long distance.

The plug was potentially an RCD but have now been informed this will not be required ( I knew I came to the right place 😉)

Taking directly to CU may be a better option 👍 - I can still isolate easily

Thank you for your detailed response 👍

As UNG points out the far right hand RCD switch in you consumer unit is no longer suitable.

A type A equivalent 30ma RCD can be bought for less than £25 from Screwfix..
https://www.screwfix.com/p/contactum-defender-63a-30ma-dp-type-a-rcd/363ha
I realise I will need professional help to change and sign off the RCD in the CU.

To return to the original question what is the simplest D.I.Y. way I could run a permanent extension to allow me to granny charger my EV. Plug in preferably.

Size of cable etc....

Last edited:
If you are bringing in professional help to change the RCD it may be easier to get an outdoor socket installed at the same time for piece of mind that it is tested and safe for isolation a double pole switch could be fitted next to the consumer unit

If you are bringing in professional help to change the RCD it may be easier to get an outdoor socket installed at the same time for piece of mind that it is tested and safe for isolation a double pole switch could be fitted next to the consumer unit
Simply because I would like to run the cable myself. I know where I want the cable to go, I'm a bit OCD with how things are laid out and I am not sure the electrician would want to go crawling under the caravan and deck.

I'm sure you will find an electrician who can work with your OCD if you want to crawl under the caravan and deck to install the cable I for one would have no problem accomodating that

Even though the cable run is quite short I would probably use a 2.5mm² SWA mainly to keep the volt drop low

As mentioned earlier before jumping in and arranging an install you really need to assess the supply which could be as little as 16 or 20A, the sustained 10A draw of the granny charger could then severely limit what other appliances you can use while you are charging the vehicle

Even though the cable run is quite short I would probably use a 2.5mm² SWA mainly to keep the volt drop low

As mentioned earlier before jumping in and arranging an install you really need to assess the supply which could be as little as 16 or 20A, the sustained 10A draw of the granny charger could then severely limit what other appliances you can use while you are charging the vehicle
Thanks, was thinking of getting a head start by running the cable and getting the electrician to do the connections. Originally I thought I could do a DIY version but all I have is doubt now, so will leave the complete job and have a rethink

Good morning, I'm looking for some advice.

I have a static caravan, and recently, when I visit I have taken to using the granny charger overnight with a cable passed through a window.

Ideally, I would like an externally rated socket attatched to my deck for this purpose.

Once the socket is fitted, I was hoping to run 2.5mm armoured cable from the outside socket under and into the van, with an RCD plug attached at the other end of the cable.

This means I can simply plug the RCD plug into a spare, out of the way socket in the caravan, which in turn is easily isolated when I am not on site.

The caravan is only four years old, so I would presume the electrics are up to date.

I had a look online and can easily buy the 2.5mm, 3 core armoured cable at my required length. The outdoor rated socket is also easily available.

The RCD plug I looked at was the 'Masterplug' but this will only take cable up to a diameter of 1.5mm and overall diameter of 10mm.

Can I ask, is my setup overkill, how can adapt the configuration to suit my needs?

I have tried to include as much relevant information as possible, nothing worse that half a story 😁

Many thanks for any advice given 👍
What earthing system is the supply ?