oven cable size

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonasardar

Reaction score
Hi all,what cable size for 9kw oven,i thought 6mm and what can i use to connect existing 6mm cable to extend under floorboards.

thanks.

Depends on length of cable run, installation method, temperature, grouping etc.... By extending the cable you would need to ensure the circuit (as its only for your one device) complies with the 17th and obviously being in a kitchen is notifiable.

And are you sure the original run is 6.0/2.5 and not an older standard?

Thanks Ianmac ,original cable is 6mm under floorboards ,with 40amp breaker,i hoping to use this cable for about 10m of the total run,no grouping

Is it deffinatly 6.0/2.5 cable and not 6.0/something.else?

Thanks Ianmac ,original cable is 6mm under floorboards ,with 40amp breaker,i hoping to use this cable for about 10m of the total run,no grouping
Not keen on 40A breaker for 6mm cable myself, could be sailing a bit close to the wind for my liking.

I know what you mean and is permissable according to the tables in the OSG for ref C but lengh may well be limited by Zs rather than volt drop. Not good if someone extends it past allowable limits or with a different installation method though.

I assume its a BS EN 60898 type B MCB? Have you got a copy of the OSG there?

Thank You all for your input.
Oh.... ok..... not sure we had come to a conclusion yet (apart from maybe 10mm would have been better thoughout the run).

Not keen on 40A breaker for 6mm cable myself, could be sailing a bit close to the wind for my liking.
I never put 6mm on a 40a mcb, I know you can do the calcs, but, as you say, its close, and then someone goes and "upgrades" the appliance and it needs a 45a.

Oh.... ok..... not sure we had come to a conclusion yet (apart from maybe 10mm would have been better thoughout the run).
+1

I dont think I would like to put it on a 40 amp breaker.

I would be wary of the Ze of the installation as well.

Most PME would clear faults but TNS would struggle to disconnect in time.

Design cable capacity would be around the 39 amp range so it would sail close to the wind as the others have suggested.

Personally I would have gone for a new install using 10mm cable.

I would love an explanation, seeing has the remark came after my post!

If its a lesson in the effects of disconnection times given known parables I will enlighten you.

As Ze has a dramatic effect on the eventual Zs and disconnection times that are now set for the 17th edition.

Given 0.35 and 0.8 or 21 has stated Ze, it would greatly effect the disconnection of a given devise.

Or I do suppose you could bang it in, and do it like all others do because it works.

My apologies if I sound abrupt, but it is no more abrupt than "Bizarre"

Also has I have already quoted in replies sometimes the intention is not always taken the way it was meant.

I would love an explanation, seeing has the remark came after my post!
Bizarre, as in the thread in the general. If it was a real life conversation between several people and the person asking the question sort of randomly said 'ok, thanks' and wandered off mid conversation I'd be in stitches.

My fault entirely for the confusing message, should have clarified it with some qualifying statement.