P.I.R and the elusive C.U

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would suggest it be moved - or walk away.

If something happens after you have worked on the installation then it's a can of worms

If it is not possible to move it which it sounds it is not leave it where it is put it behind a panel but make it easily movable ie not under stair carpet. Carpet fitter could put carpet around panel and have a couple of handles on it to make it easily movable. You cannot have every fuse box/consumer unit in the ideal position it is impossible. If you want to upgrade to 17th use board with RCBO'S for the few circuits it won't break the bank.

Batty

so the one i installed under the shed behing a secret panelling is ok then, MCB to the shed no RCD though :eek: :p :D

Fire alarm only needs fire tuf to sounders not detection zones.Two sounder circuits could be fed in four core.

You cannot say move it with out seeing the job. Extend tails may not be an option as they may have to be put in trunking ie cables consealed in walls. It may be better to leave it where it is and have an access panel so it is accessable. I have seen fuse boxes/ consumer units in a lot less accessable places than that. As long as it is not under carpet I would leave it as it is. Put an access panel on stair job done.

Batty

I might be way off the mark here but IMHO It has to be moved due to the fire risk surely ?

Faults happen no matter how hard people try to avoid it, if something come lose and started to arch the smoke would disapate under the floor and either delay or stop it from being noticed until maybe it is to late, if this step is at the entrance to the flat this would then block the entrance exit from the property if a fire was (god forbid) to start.

If it was me Id be asking building control on their views on this one .

then that would stop you ever putting a CU in a cupboard or by a front door.

A cupboard is a small space compared to the space under a floor and smoke would soon be visable. My point is being in a floor area with underlay and carpet on top this could keep simple arch hidden or unoticed until it becomes an altogether much more serious issue.