Part P and self cert

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gforce

Reaction score
Hi guys just out of interest from anyone who has done one of those intensive courses to part P and 17th edition. I am looking into a course with tradeskills4u which is the 13 day course-once you have done the part p exam you can register with say niceic-am I right? Then they asses you and give you 1 year to pass the 17th edition-once again am I right?

Basically what I would like to know is from the time of passing part p how long is the process to be able to work and self cert?

Guidance much appreciated.

Martin

You cannot learn enough in 13 days (unless you already have experience/knowledge etc).

And if you can, then i just wasted 4 years of my life. along with many others who want to learn to do the job properly

Once you do pass assessment, you can notify jobs immediately

Took me a 4 year apprenticeship along with 5 years day release for ONC & HNC and a further couple of years beyond to be what I class as competent and I'm still learning so unless these course are going to upload the skills like they do in the Matrix I can't see how a quality electrician can be produced in 13 day's, unless you are someone who has been out of the game for a number of years and are looking for a fast track way of getting up to date.

I respect what you guys are saying. Nay I dont think a fully competent person can come out of 13 days-but legal at least.

As I said in a previous post I di 1 year as an apprentice when about 19 and thought I was being used as didnt even get put on a college course-but learnt a lot about installing-just not enough about theory of electrics. Also I did a 1 year apprenticeship in a furnace manufacturer and did heaps of panel wiring and stuff-aided of course and have a rudimentary understanding of three phase and other stuff-then worked on dry cleaning machines for 2 years-with again electrics involved.

With years of good diy experience with a father who was an electrical/mechanical engineer.

Point is I just want to be able to get me foot in the door legally and then do other training to become fully qualified with time.

So guys dont think I think I know it all-just think I can be a reasonably competent fitter to begin with-then if I dont think i can handle a job I wont take it on to begin with.

Unfortunately the apprenticeship route would be out for me now-38 with mortgage and kids. Im a qualified driving instructor so am used to a hell of a lot of revision.

Thanks for replying guys and I hope that one day I can be as good as time served guys.

Martin

Hi guys just out of interest from anyone who has done one of those intensive courses to part P and 17th edition. I am looking into a course with tradeskills4u which is the 13 day course-once you have done the part p exam you can register with say niceic-am I right? Then they asses you and give you 1 year to pass the 17th edition-once again am I right?Basically what I would like to know is from the time of passing part p how long is the process to be able to work and self cert?

Guidance much appreciated.

Martin
Hello G-force..

have you had a look at the various approved contractor schemes web sites..

NIC, ELECSA, NAPIT, BSI etc..

they have all the info about their enrolment requirements;)

I am doing the course through Trade Skills 4U. I've split it up though into different sections.

The Foundation part is very usefull but crams lot into 5 days from a basic radial curcuit through to ring curcuit, cooker circuit, various lighting circuits, armaoured cables, basic testing and fault finding. A hint is as you are attaching everything to a board, don't spread it out too much. They will ask you to add to every ciruit you construct. Take an electric screwdriver as at the end of the course you will have to dismantle all of your work.

Although they advertise this course as suitable for the absolute beginner, you will struggle if you have no knowledge.

The 17th edition, I skipped this part and tought myself and passed. This cost me around

Cheers mate-I agree with the 17th edition-afterall its just what is incorporated in the regs anyway and have already been revising with some of the things you say.

I have a good understanding of electrics already and really just feel its the consumer unit and testing stuff i need to get to grips with.

As far as I can see-correct me if im wrong-once done the 5 day intoduction course, mainly to bring me back up to speed on things not sure about, then the part p course which will hopefully help me understand compliance-you can then sign up with say niceic and then have 1 year to gain 17th edition anyway-so should be 100% with it by then.

Did you have no previous experience before your course?

Hi

I have only had DIY experience and managed pretty well in the foundation course. If you have previous practical experience then it is a great refresher.

In fairness most people had some experience. The two that didn't really struggled.

As far as I'm aware you can register after getting your Part P although getting your 17th edition as soon as possible is also very worthwhile if you want to seek employment.

I can't really comment on the part P section of the course as I am yet to take it (end of April). I wasn't able to get the time off work to do the to 5 day courses back to back. To keep my hand in, I've just bought a load of cheap sockets and switches etc, some chipboard and a used consumer unit and am constructing circuits and dead testing them when I get the time (2 kids and a full time job doesn't = spare time)

All in all I really enjoyed the 5 day foundation course, it taught me a great deal. However, it does feel that they are cramming alot in and they move on to the following topic very quickly. Get in as many questions as you can, make the most of what you've paid for.

Oh and for lunch, I would definately recommend Rocket The Burgermeister trailer on the corner, their gourmet burgers are the best I've tasted. :D

If you're planning to do your Part P at the end of April I might just see you there.

I'd say go for it, you're not investing a fortune in the course but the rewards could be worth it.

Thanks mate-not sure ill be there in april-sold my camera equipment on amazon to pa for it and they are making me wait upto 30 days for me money barstewards. So probably do 5 day intro some time in april and part p in may-unless the money gts here soon lol.

Do you need to be part p reg to do a periodic, i dont think so but just need confirmation.

Latest posts