Part P Electricans - valuable or dangerous?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lack of publicity combined with lack of enforcemant: we need more rogue trader programmes about electrics to improve things, and a better reporting system (like one at all). But I also feel no one should trade without meeting a minimum standard first.
I don't like rogue traders they tell people you need to be corgi registered to wire a boiler.

Batty

I don't like rogue traders they tell people you need to be corgi registered to wire a boiler.Batty
and my plumber mate wont wire a boiler because hes no part p !!!!!

and my plumber mate wont wire a boiler because hes no part p !!!!!
I forgot to mention

When I sat Part P, in naivety I was expecting questions on domestic electrics (well you would wouldn't you?), I did not get a single question on anything remotely electrical :eek: , go figure?

Guys: What exactly is Part P stopping? there is no way of forcing people to notify & from what i've seen there are still as many bodgers out there doing work, whether masquerading as sparks or doing DIY. I went to a shop last week to do a repair on a machine & they asked me to look at a light that was dead, god what a shambles: Live wires taped together in the fittings, bare earths, bare live wires just pushed into the backs of switches & 1mm T&E tapped off the back of a socket to feed some extra lights etc. As both the shop & flat above are fed from the same meter then this should have been notified & inspected but obviously wasn't, so once again Part P & the threat of the consequences for not notifying etc has failed to stop the butchery. The only thing it definately has done is put a lot of good sparks off doing house wiring because they are so sick of the Red tape & having to fork out more money.X( X(

Andy.

As both the shop & flat above are fed from the same meter then this should have been notified & inspected
i dont see what difference it would make to the work in the shop if the meter is shared or seperate. work should be done correctly anyway, but how many electricians working for shop fitting companies are part p reg'd for the odd shared supply they come across

i dont see what difference it would make to the work in the shop if the meter is shared or seperate. work should be done correctly anyway, but how many electricians working for shop fitting companies are part p reg'd for the odd shared supply they come across
.Yes mate we all know that the work should be done correctly no matter what & we all know that in a lot of cases it's not. The point being is that part P doesn't from what i've seen seem to be stopping the things it was supposedly meant to stop, i.e shoddy or dangerous work in Domestic premises or areas that are fed from a common supply to Domestic premises as for Electricians working for shop fitting companies if they are going to work on any premises with shared supplies then they should be part P registered the same as the rest of us have to.

part p only effects the honest people. it will never work. but then again, this is something from the government. did anyone really expect it to work? (or just work in that it does nothing for safety, but gets them more money? - sounds a bit like those yellow boxes on the side of roads!)

I am a domestic installer I am registered with the niceic,I did not do a six week course.

I registered to comply with the regulations and my heart breaks every time I go to a home of an eighty year old woman who has had a full rewire from an unregitered electrician who, in my view should not be allowed to use a pair of cable cutters.

The failure of part p is down to the inability to enforce the act, and the ignorance of the general public.I always use the Electoral Safety Councils consumer guides to provide my quotes for work, so the customer knows what is requested and what is included in the quote. I now do some work for the electrical safety council grants scheme, where by all work is tendered and any recommendations 1 or 2 found on a survey are passed to at least 3 electricians for quotes.

This scheme is designed so that vunerable people are not ripped off by bogus electricians.

I have been registered on the scheme since the start, and must admit is it worth it?.

However I have a responsibility to provide a service that is accountable and recordable to me, I do this by completing my work and providing certificates, once the public know they need a certificate then maybe just maybe part p will work.

So I guess I fall in the catorgory of honest people in which case I wish part p really did work.You are quite right at the moment it does not stop what it was set up to stop, and that aggrevates me because I have to spend money to be registered, when they do not.

I thought we had done away with Red Tape when we changed to Brown and Blue :| X(
And the Oscar for humour goes to Evans above ; )Applaud Smiley:D:)

same story as me but im not quite 40 yet but had the same sort of apprentichip as you...infact im no were near 40:Y
Same story here too, 50 in june and doing my 17th edition course, been testing competently for 20+ years now, registered as a domestic installer when part p came in, going to do my testing course later in the year, life still in this old dog and still learning after 34 years in the trade, so how can these people with only a few months experience but with a qualification be classed as electricians !!!, somethings gone wrong somewhere.

dave.

And dont get me going about part p, (the cowboys are still out there undercutting on rewires, doing shoddy work) etc etc, i only joined niceic to keep within the law, as all honest sparkys have.

I am a domestic installer I am registered with the niceic,I did not do a six week course.I registered to comply with the regulations and my heart breaks every time I go to a home of an eighty year old woman who has had a full rewire from an unregitered electrician who, in my view should not be allowed to use a pair of cable cutters.

The failure of part p is down to the inability to enforce the act, and the ignorance of the general public.I always use the Electoral Safety Councils consumer guides to provide my quotes for work, so the customer knows what is requested and what is included in the quote. I now do some work for the electrical safety council grants scheme, where by all work is tendered and any recommendations 1 or 2 found on a survey are passed to at least 3 electricians for quotes.

This scheme is designed so that vunerable people are not ripped off by bogus electricians.

I have been registered on the scheme since the start, and must admit is it worth it?.

However I have a responsibility to provide a service that is accountable and recordable to me, I do this by completing my work and providing certificates, once the public know they need a certificate then maybe just maybe part p will work.

So I guess I fall in the catorgory of honest people in which case I wish part p really did work.You are quite right at the moment it does not stop what it was set up to stop, and that aggrevates me because I have to spend money to be registered, when they do not.
As an approved contractor ( &DI), I agree wholeheartedly. Part P came in over the minister`s daughter being eloctrocuted by a faulty socket job done by her builder. When they did the maths on the sparx who weren`t with a scam, and the tax on the income, it was a no-brainer.

The idea of having kitchen fitters, bathroom installers etc, do a course to teach them basic electrical skills, so they could still provide an all-in-one, in-house service was laudable. The result is laughable.

Joe bloggs decides to be a sparx. He can pay an amount of dosh to a "training centre", who will "guarantee" a pass!!! (HOW?)

Whoopee Doo, he`s now able to do everything we can? Molluscs.

Theo, I accept your point on diy stores selling this stuff, but we can`t restrict what they sell. You could go there to buy a CU for your own house - no quals needed!!!!!!!!!

As with so many other things, it is a money making scheme, nothing more. If the government weren`t behind it, it would be illegal.

KME

As an approved contractor ( &DI), I agree wholeheartedly. Part P came in over the minister`s daughter being eloctrocuted by a faulty socket job done by her builder. When they did the maths on the sparx who weren`t with a scam, and the tax on the income, it was a no-brainer. The idea of having kitchen fitters, bathroom installers etc, do a course to teach them basic electrical skills, so they could still provide an all-in-one, in-house service was laudable. The result is laughable.

Joe bloggs decides to be a sparx. He can pay an amount of dosh to a "training centre", who will "guarantee" a pass!!! (HOW?)

Whoopee Doo, he`s now able to do everything we can? Molluscs.

Theo, I accept your point on diy stores selling this stuff, but we can`t restrict what they sell. You could go there to buy a CU for your own house - no quals needed!!!!!!!!!

As with so many other things, it is a money making scheme, nothing more. If the government weren`t behind it, it would be illegal.

COULDNT PUT IT BETTER MYSELF, I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT. DAVE :Y :Y:Y:Y:Y:Y:Y:Y

Why do people keep crapping on about cost of part P?????

I assume even before part P.. a "good electrician" would have

copies of current regs / OSG etc..

a reasonable quality meter (calibrated)?

and be issuing certificates?

and have Public liability insurance?

or did these all miraculously appear with part-P?

So all of those costs are already part of the job......

so we are only talking of the annual enrolment fee... <

or did these all miraculously appear with part-P?

So all of those costs are already part of the job......
dunno about them magically appearing, but i think many disappeared when part p came along.... not Part Pee reg'd, so no certs at all given

Latest posts