Part p making it work.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see so much bad electrical work and since part p it seems to be getting worse. Now as most people have house insurance why don't insurance companies get involved with part p and put a letter in on the renewals pointing out about part p and stating what is involved. That way householders would A know about part p and B ensure the work that is done in there house is done by a registered installer. They could also point out any electrical work should be done to a certain standard and hopefully do away with some of the bad work I see. Maybe the part p providers also may get themselves in gear and ensure there members are actually doing the work to a satisfactory standard. I know this is only a dream but we can all dream. I don't think insurance companies get involved with this at the moment but maybe I am wrong.

Having work done by a registered installer means Jack Schitt TBH.

Part P has only gave an air of legitimacey to the cowboys, not stopped them.

Before partP folks knew they were getting Bob from the pub, now thy think they are getting a spark.

Dissolve registration schemes and bring in a licence for proper electricians.

I see so much bad electrical work and since part p it seems to be getting worse. Now as most people have house insurance why don't insurance companies get involved with part p and put a letter in on the renewals pointing out about part p and stating what is involved. That way householders would A know about part p and B ensure the work that is done in there house is done by a registered installer. They could also point out any electrical work should be done to a certain standard and hopefully do away with some of the bad work I see. Maybe the part p providers also may get themselves in gear and ensure there members are actually doing the work to a satisfactory standard. I know this is only a dream but we can all dream. I don't think insurance companies get involved with this at the moment but maybe I am wrong.
Funny you should say that Batty, one of the first Competent Person Part P Scheme provider was Zurich Insurance . They seemed to dissapear from the scene rather quickly ,as did the double glazing lot , FENSA who originaly owned ELECSA I think.

If Electrical items are sold to the public it will never stop.

Imagine if it was law that only registered Electricians could purchase Electrical items, there would be so much work available to all those that have put the effort and time in to get where they are today.

But it will never happen.

But there's a flip side, if electrical items were only sold to electricians, then this could open up a nice black market for some gang boss to start selling dodgy items, and putting lives in danger. I'm not sure there will ever be an answer, but at least we're busy putting people's mistakes right.

;) it's my idea, might set that up my self. But where there's a hole in the market, there's always someone there to fill it, might as well be me :D

All home insurance policies contain a phrase along the lines of "shall maintain the property to a reasonable standard" - getting wiring done by a cowboy (even unwittingly) gives the insurance companies a get out clause in the event of a claim.

Proff surely if they actually got involved with this more things could be put right with the part p. It would not take a lot to put a letter together stating work has to comply with BS7671 and be done by a competent person after all some insurance companies will not accept work unless its done by an NICEIC approved contractor. I know they like a way to not pay out so this is there get out clause I suppose. It just seems such an easy solution to me to get things put right. Trouble is are there enough competent contractors to do the work if it ever happened.

I'm really surprised they don't enforce it more as most would like away to get out of paying if a house burned down. Then it would be the contractors pl that pays and not them. As anyone heared ofinsurance refusing to paying out as a result in cowboy work?

Careful what you wish for....

Question 1; how does the home owner show proof of a genuine EICR to insurance company?

Question 2; will insurance company accept EICR from anybody, how will they check EICR issuer is competent to undertake EICR? (i belive (my personal thought only) the DPIR registration scheme set up some time ago by NICEIC may have been an early attempt to get a register going for insurance companies to use, trouble was sparks (including the 15 on the course I attened) didnt want to pay an extra

or simply make it ILLEGAL for an unlicenced electrician to carry out any form of electrical work,

and make it illegal for anyone to engage such a person as well.

Even if you make a requirement for licencing electricians, that will still not stop DIY work.

Remember it is still NOT illegal for you to DIY your own gas work. You only need to be "competent". I'm sure the same would apply to electrical work if ever a licencing requirement was imposed.

As for restricting sale of electical items, just 2 words: ebay and BES (who hapily sell all kinds of plumbing electrical and gas supplies to anyone)

Even if you make a requirement for licencing electricians, that will still not stop DIY work.Remember it is still NOT illegal for you to DIY your own gas work. You only need to be "competent". I'm sure the same would apply to electrical work if ever a licencing requirement was imposed.

As for restricting sale of electical items, just 2 words: ebay and BES (who hapily sell all kinds of plumbing electrical and gas supplies to anyone)
but it is ILLEGAL in most other modern countries to carry out electrical work unlicenced,

we are still[as usual] living in the dark ages in regards to the electrical industry and regs.

It would not take a lot to put a letter together stating work has to comply with BS7671 and be done by a competent person
Here`s the rub in that, bud. The scam providers have labelled these muppeteers AS "competent" - until we can tackle THAT problem (Prof?), we don`t have a standard we can expect Joe Public to know of.

after all some insurance companies will not accept work unless its done by an NICEIC approved contractor. I know they like a way to not pay out so this is there get out clause I suppose. It just seems such an easy solution to me to get things put right. Trouble is are there enough competent contractors to do the work if it ever happened.
Again - define "competent" mate - OUR definition or the scams` ?

Speaking to a colleague on Friday morning - "Might have an unoccupied domestic rewire for you - I`ll know later on".

60 mins later...."They`ve just rung; and they`re accepting a verbal quote of

No way you can licence the sale of goods. Nothing wrong with someone having a go in their own home. Bringing in a licence would however create some consistency with what the general public are to look for when deciding who is competent and who is not. Much like corgi/ gas safe

No way you can licence the sale of goods. Nothing wrong with someone having a go in their own home. Bringing in a licence would however create some consistency with what the general public are to look for when deciding who is competent and who is not. Much like corgi/ gas safe
most countries with a licencing system prohibit anyone without a licence doing any electrical work, whether it is in their own home or not,

that is the really simple way to do it, NO grey areas, either you have a licence and you can do it, or you dont.

simples. :)