part p or not part p

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob-uk

Reaction score
I am looking at starting up on my own doing private houses. The question is do I need part p or not. I have my 17th Ed, 16th Ed in level 2, 2391 inspec and test. And I know I need to register with someone like Nic or napit to self cert work I carry out. Some people have said I need to do a part p course but a couple have said I shouldnt need to.....????

If your competent at what you do then join a governing body what is your previous work history

What is a part p course?
It's where you learn how to turn a blind eye as government and private agency's pick your pocket of any of your company's profit

It's where you learn to not take it personally when your informed your brb is now yellow and costs a further

Check out the previous post to yours:

http://www.talk.electricianforum.co.uk/part-p-competent-person-self-certification-schemes-forum/21415-part-p-domestic-installer-registration-headache.html

But basically as to whether you need to do a Part P course then probably NOT for scheme membership. I have found though that a lot of people who mainly work with industrial electrics are often not that clued up as to Part P. I would therefore invest in a good guide to the building regs such as that from the NICEIC or the IET like one of these:

NICEIC - approving excellence

or

Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations Part P, 2nd Edition - IET Electrical

(.......I actually have both!)

p.s. The NICEIC one above doesn't include AMD 1 but WELL worth it for

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my 16th Ed while doing a 3 yr electrical apprent. Then I came totally out of elec work for about 6 yrs and for last 5yrs have been a maintenance electrician where I have gained my 17th and test/inspec.

So really I should be able to join one of the schemes without the worry of part P???

Im pretty sure Elecsa would be happy with the 17th Edition (C&G2382) and Test & Inspect (C&G2391) but could give them a call as theyre a really friendly helpful bunch. Good luck anyways mate :)

I did my 16th Ed while doing a 3 yr electrical apprent. Then I came totally out of elec work for about 6 yrs and for last 5yrs have been a maintenance electrician where I have gained my 17th and test/inspec.So really I should be able to join one of the schemes without the worry of part P???
part p is a building regulation that applies to all electrical work in a house (although some is exempt from notificaiotn). you do not need a 'part p course' to join a part p scheme. and there is no such thing as 'part p qualified' either

Latest posts