Pat Question ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyngarth

Reaction score
Hi

I have been helping a friend ( old spark who hates pat work ) and have done 5 office blocks and two shops, but next week we have to test 60 + heaters and hand driers, all wired via FCU's

Now as he is paying me I'm happy to do it as he wants, but the way he wants them done is by pulling the wires and fitting a plug top to each one and then to test that way ( tester is a fluke 6200 )

He said this is the best way he knows, unless I can come up with a better way.

So was wondering how you good people would go about testing the units.

Cheers,

Lyngarth

Would concur with the esteemed GF.

There are also boxes on the market, with a lid which opens to reveal 3 fixed clips (Maplins I think????). The lid also isolates the clips, and is fused; allowing safe testing. If you`re likely to have H&S issues, that`s the method I`d use.

KME

A bit to much for me to buy but I do like the look of it.
About 20 quid from sensible places.

I take it I could just make up a plug top with leads myself ?? or would I have to have a made and tested one to use ?
I'd make one myself, just get a normal IEC to croc clip lead and stick a plug on it, or make an adapter from 13A plug to IEC socket.

About 20 quid from sensible places.
Can you tell me were I could get one at that price or around that price ??

Have been looking on line but yet not found one.

Cheers

Lyngarth

http://www.test-meter.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=163

I'd use the test lead idea though. If you use the safeblock you'll probably need to completely remove the flex from the spur and possibly strip the insulation back a bit further to enable the bared ends to reach the desired terminals on the safeblock. With the test leads you just need to remove the flex from the terminals, clip the leads on then stick them back in once the test is over. Much easier.

Hi thanks for that, will take a look.

Now sorry if I sound a bit thick here, but what you are saying is to get a set of test leads with croc clips and wire them into a plug top ?? I'm sure even I could make that up :)

Will look into the safeblock as well, as I know my friend is mad on safety in the work place, so he might like that method.

Cheers,

Lyngarth

Now sorry if I sound a bit thick here, but what you are saying is to get a set of test leads with croc clips and wire them into a plug top ??
Pretty much.

Cheapest solution..1 x 13a Plug to

1 x Short length of 13a flex

3 x 2way Wago lever connectors

such as:-

http://www.wagobox.com/shop/lever/2-pole-lever-cage-clamp-terminal-block-20pcs.html

Safer than Croc clips.. No exposed live bits to accidentally touch! :eek:

Job dun! ;)

Guinness
Hi

Thanks for that, I have made one up as you said, and will give it a go today, also took a look CPC and will order one up for my mate (Thanks for the link Apache)

Hopefully this will speed up the work this week.

Many thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

Lyngarth

Latest posts