PAT test failed new 'touch lamps'

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuntyJean

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before. This is my first post and I have just had my first PAT test done on a holiday let which failed three 'touch lamps', two of which were brand new, purchased 7 months ago in Sainsbury's. I am also told they had the wrong fuse fitted. As with all appliances these days the fuses were already in the plugs which were fitted. How come these have failed the PAT test?

I would add that the person who carried out the testing has only recently qualified, having taken the qualification only because she thought it cheaper to do so and test her own appliances annually than to pay someone else to do it.

Is this something I should take up with Sainsbury's where I bought the lamps from or is it possible the PAT tester missed something?

I've got two of those lamps in my house. Mine are class 2 so if yours are the same what exactly are they testing? You can't do an earth bond test, you can't do a leakage test, and you can't do an IR test. If they're doing a flash test, they've probably fried the electronics. Like most class 2 items it should be a visual inspection only (even though you see countless companies plugging class 2 appliances into their all singing all dancing machines and pressing the "go" button.)

I've got two of those lamps in my house. Mine are class 2 so if yours are the same what exactly are they testing? You can't do an earth bond test, you can't do a leakage test, and you can't do an IR test. If they're doing a flash test, they've probably fried the electronics. Like most class 2 items it should be a visual inspection only (even though you see countless companies plugging class 2 appliances into their all singing all dancing machines and pressing the "go" button.)
Should do a flash test though.

Sorry if this has been asked before. This is my first post and I have just had my first PAT test done on a holiday let which failed three 'touch lamps', two of which were brand new, purchased 7 months ago in Sainsbury's. I am also told they had the wrong fuse fitted. As with all appliances these days the fuses were already in the plugs which were fitted. How come these have failed the PAT test?I would add that the person who carried out the testing has only recently qualified, having taken the qualification only because she thought it cheaper to do so and test her own appliances annually than to pay someone else to do it.

Is this something I should take up with Sainsbury's where I bought the lamps from or is it possible the PAT tester missed something?
The fuses are there to protect the cable supplying the equipment and not nessessary the appliance (although inevitably it does) and therefore the manufacturer could have quite easily used the higher rated fuse based on the cable used.

Class II equipment has a IR test with a resistance level of 2.0Mohms P75 Table 15.2 Code of Practice

but since its a touch lamp, and probably without a manual switch, youll probably damage it (or get reading through it) if you IR L-N. same with most equipment

Many testers have a lower test for sensitive electronic equipment to prevent damage, although that is still about a 1.0Mohms threshold - Class II IT equipment. Bear in mind it is a dead test.

Shouldn't really expect a connection between L-N unless there really is damage present.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like the PAT person is a little inexperienced IMHO.

Doc H

Shouldn't really expect a connection between L-N unless there really is damage present.
what if it doesnt have a switch? like a plug in PSU? if you dot have a connection L-N, then it may pass, even though its only fit for the bin.

in case of OP, its a touch lamp. which has electronics to control the on/off. IR L-N and your probably going to do damage (along with getting a reading though the electronics & possibly lamp). is it really that hard to understand?

you may aswell get a single core cable an IR it by sticking a probe on each end.

im starting to think your the one who failed the lamp in the first place through being incompetent.

the lamp has electronics between L-N used to switch the lamp on/off. this will ALWAYS be connected, even when the lamp is not lit. IR and you will probably damage this.

OP,

really sounds as though the person that done your testing doesnt have enough experience of the various types of item and the relevant tests required with them.

this is one of the area where a little knowledge can be not only dangerous, but quite possibly lethal, not to mention very expensive,

I think your lamps have been 'fried' (-thats a technical term, ;) ) by an incorrect test being carried out.

Im now at a quandary as to how much your insurance would give to this test being carried out by someone who may well not be seen as 'competent' should something go wrong and you unfortunately end up in court.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

I think I will avoid buying 'touch' lamps in future to save all the hassle.

If the person who PAT tested is qualified I don't think insurance would be invalid.

Next problem is getting a qualified (NICEIC) electrician to test all the fixed wiring - anyone know of one in or near Bude please?

AuntyJean, there has been many comments, both here, on the internet, and in courtrooms, and the general consensus is that simply having a qualification does NOT make a person competent.

AuntyJean, there has been many comments, both here, on the internet, and in courtrooms, and the general consensus is that simply having a qualification does NOT make a person competent.
Agree Steps, however it is one way of proving competance?

Latest posts