Pat Testing Yay Or Nay

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have Seaward and charge £3.50 per item based on doing 10 Per hour, then back to office upload, print certs and post with invoice.

These days I only have 3 customers left for PAT, two are 40 odd and the third 60+.

I won't do it for less, so always state that straight away, I won't work for less than my hourly rate.

Based upon 10 per hour....which is about right after you have prattled about under desks, moved from room to room etc, downloaded , printed out etc. that is how I charge if I HAVE to PA Test.

So, 10 per hour. Equates to 80 per day. Lets round that up to , say, 100

So at 47 p per item ( going rate around here ) that is £47 per day!

I wouldn't even turn the car engine on for that....never mind getting out of bed

Just criticising the state of what used to be an Honest Industry

Feel glad its not just me that does about 10 to 12 items per hour!  Just wish I had the software to download the results to as i used to write the results on kewtech preprinted sheets but it just looked a mess and not professional.

So now enter everything into seaward europa plus (supplied by the M and M store - isswww.co.uk from a couple of years ago), then I get the better half to do her data entry bit into some spreadsheets I made.  Seems to take forever though!!!

As others have said, most of the fails are on visuals ie cracked plugs, damaged leads, incorrect fuses, so its nice every now and then to get a failure on earth bond or insulation test.

Just thought incorrect fuses, cracked plugs are rectified as I go along so they wouldnt actually be getting a failed sticker on them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only ever PA tested less then 1000 items in total ever.

Last time I was bored within the first hour.

The only good thing about PA testing is crawling around under desks in an office populated with sweet smelling women.