PATs and PIRS

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have the BS7671 MFT, looking at it it's the same box, lid and keypad, just the terminals are different and the screen is smaller. Lasted me for years and took some abuse. Pretty sure I used to use one of those PAT testers when I was an apprentice.

The PAt 1000s is an old tester and is not sold by Seaward any longer, the link on the ebay site is to Pat training services and not Seaward.

Having said that is is a good unit with some advanced features like Flash Test and selectable Leakage values.

We still see a lot at our place for calibration and it looks like a good buy to me.

Patch I have a seaward RCD tester and Loop tester and a Megger megger...... They all need calibration but otherwise serviceable. Any recomendations on places in and around Blackpool where I can take them for calibration without paying a fortune?

Any recomendations on places in and around Blackpool where I can take them for calibration without paying a fortune?
Most wholesalers do calibration days where you pop your tester in and they send it off. Usually much cheaper than taking it in for a one off calibration.

Finally got my PAT this morning... all brand new and packaged with RS Calibration written all over the box. Its a great piece of kit, downloadable, Bar code (if you have the scanner) and all the leads etc in a case.

The calibration cert ends in Dec 2010.... It was advertised as 'complete with calibration cert' which I guess is like selling a car with an MOT but not saying how long it is.

I only paid

Sounds good to me, I can;t see why you'd leave negative feedback for that. You should have asked and he should have said how long was remaining, not really an issue though either way.

Just got it out of the box and tried it out. Seems to work OK.

One thing bothers me. It asks for the test number - 1-8 different tests for 110V class 1/2 240V Class 1/2 etc. Each code is 10 digits long and needs to be read from a card! The only sensible thing would be a barcode scanner as the card has barcodes for each test.

Is there a particular type of scanner to work with this or will any that has a serial connection do the job?

Thanks

James

Any old serial scanner should work, they're just a dumb accessory. Worth checking baud settings though as some may not work due to mismatches in speeds.

Just got it out of the box and tried it out. Seems to work OK. One thing bothers me. It asks for the test number - 1-8 different tests for 110V class 1/2 240V Class 1/2 etc. Each code is 10 digits long and needs to be read from a card! The only sensible thing would be a barcode scanner as the card has barcodes for each test.

Is there a particular type of scanner to work with this or will any that has a serial connection do the job?

Thanks

James
The test codes can also be entered via the keypad Instructions for doing this are in the manual.

I have uploaded a copy of the Manual for this pat tester in this forums download /manuals section. which is awaiting Admin approval

NB. you cant do IT testing with the 1000s.

The seaward 1000 and 2000 series are older types and were very robust well made units, the 2000 & 2000i being the top of the range.

They can be a good second hand buy as long as you know which types to go for, the IT1000, PAC1500xi and the 2000i as these also do IT tests.

Thanks, I realise you can input the codes via the keypad but hoped it would be a simple matter of pressing '1' or '2' etc not a 10 character number every time.
not sure which codes you are talking about?

Their are appliance codes that can be up to 10 digit that should accept 1 or 2 digit entry.

and their are test codes that are 10 digit entry These are used for automatic testing And once set for a particular class of testing (ie class I), does not need to be changed till you do another class of testing (ie class II)

if used in manual test mode the test codes don't apply

Latest posts