pc on button playing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electrocuted

Reaction score
hello boys and girls,

I have a PC where the ON button lights up but the pc doesn't come on.so was wondering if I could bypass the on button and put an inline switch on the power cable.

any help appreciated.

the power button is a normally open momentary switch. there will be 2 conductors from switch to motherboard

unless its really old. then it will have a switch in the 230v

if its 4 years old it will be ATX. there will be a bundle of wires from MB to front panel. 2 of these will be to power switch. connectors to MB should be marked

Why not replace the switch?
Great minds think alike.....

Small ones seldom differ.....

That question was in my mind as well....

Choose one of the above... :coffee

My computer is considered to be one of the most important tools in my tool kit and as such, if it has a problem it gets fixed...Put a new switch on they don't cost the earth :C

Taking a low cost option can often produce high cost budget !!!! :red card

Last edited by a moderator:
change the power supply.

It's not as easy fix as your talking about.

When you press the button at the front panel it enables the power supply to switch on.

If various parameters in cluding voltage and teperature are reched within a period then the power supply will remain on.

If these arn't reached then the PS will switch off (1/2 sec).

Simply changing the power supply which you can pick up for around 10-15 squid will 99/100 fix the problem

another option if you dont want to replace the switch.... swap power & reset switch

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:06 ----------

change the power supply.It's not as easy fix as your talking about.

When you press the button at the front panel it enables the power supply to switch on.

If various parameters in cluding voltage and teperature are reched within a period then the power supply will remain on.

If these arn't reached then the PS will switch off (1/2 sec).

Simply changing the power supply which you can pick up for around 10-15 squid will 99/100 fix the problem
if it is the power switch thats faulty, changing the PSU nothing to help anything. except add to the work list

It's not a power switch!

It's a simple logic switch that pulls a line to ground.

It's a normally open momentary switch

Short the wires out and you'll imitate the switch.

You can even do this direct on the mother board with a screw driver where the switch wires connect.

Bet you it's the power supply................

Why not replace the switch?
I did think about that, but the hassle is too much as the switch is between 2 pieces of plastic behind the HDD. Anyway I managed to put it back on and I'm not gonna turn it off.

I must be stupid......my computer needed a new board fitting in it so I took it to the shop. They put a new board in for me and sent me home with my computer all fixed inside an hour.

Now I realize where I went wrong....I should have posted a thread on here and fed off it for a week.

Geezzzz....I wish I was a Brain Surgeon:C

Last edited by a moderator: