Pebledash

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robojin

Reaction score
Been asked to quote to install two external coach lights, however this will involve a cable run across pebledash to one fitting, as they only want one switch point for both

So any suggestions on fixing cables to pebledash?, a suggestion was to use a hot glue gun, valid for coax, but this sounds wrong for 230v cable runs

Even though part of the run can be under a bay window sofit, I can't avoid pebbledash and don't wish to damage render

Also limited as the customer does not want to redecorate or have trunking so rules out a route inside, best option is to feed from the garage

Suggestions welcome, please be gentle Lurch Blushing

And just as an afterthought would the cable need extra protection because pebledash are stone chips?

Can you not site the fitting at the first floor level and then drill through the wall from under the floor boards?

do u have any exterior pic's so we can see other possible cable routes etc.
Not currently, but on the left of the bay is the porch and to the right the garage (sorry that must describe most houses), any route will mean spanning at least a metre of pebledash

Can you not site the fitting at the first floor level and then drill through the wall from under the floor boards?
unfortunately not, will not let me pull up carpets or disturb decor, aside I think it might look too high and then there's the issue of access to change lamps

So I'm down to, if pebledash what's best method to fix cable safely without brake out

If the fitting requires flex, you could use a through box at the end of the conduit with a stuffing gland.

Conduit externally?
20mm had crossed my mind but I think it will get rejected as unsightly as it's at the front of the property, pebledash headbang

Am I right thinking that the hot glue idea is a bad idea ?

I wouldn't use a hot glue gun...

It'd be ok for about a month, but then you'll get called back cause it's come away..

Why not clip the cable,, taking chipings off wall where the clip is?? Just reduce the gaps between the clips to stop the cable moving!?!?

Would have thought that clip direct would look worse after a bit of time than some nice black conduit.

I wouldn't use a hot glue gun...It'd be ok for about a month, but then you'll get called back cause it's come away..

Why not clip the cable,, taking chipings off wall where the clip is?? Just reduce the gaps between the clips to stop the cable moving!?!?
Think I would look at taking chippings off under cable too to minimise damage if something strikes it.

Suggestions welcome, please be gentle Lurch Blushing
The insinuation is truly shocking!

Anyway, what's this pebbladash like? Is it painted or unpainted, is it randomly got a few pebbles here and there or is it solid with pebbles. Are the pebbles the roundedish ones or the proper jaggedy ones?

I'd be inclined to just chase it tbh, or on the drops at least. Could get away with one length of tube across the top or bottom then, should be reasonably out of the way.

The insinuation is truly shocking!Anyway, what's this pebbladash like? Is it painted or unpainted, is it randomly got a few pebbles here and there or is it solid with pebbles. Are the pebbles the roundedish ones or the proper jaggedy ones?

I'd be inclined to just chase it tbh, or on the drops at least. Could get away with one length of tube across the top or bottom then, should be reasonably out of the way.
Sorry just a bit of fun!!

I don't know which type of chip without another look, but it has been painted, just a bit reluctant to start hacking away as my gut feeling is the customer is looking for a low price and the no decor issue

If the chips are rounded would you consider clipping flex direct acceptable for a short run of about a meter, the cable will be above head hight

I'd thought of MICC but I can't recover tool cost from this job

what about pin plugs?little grey 4mm(I think) rawplugs for hammering nails into.
I use pin plugs. Excellent when you are trying to get t&e clips in stone.