Peeling ceiling

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought my house new, 6 years ago. Installed a power shower in the main bathroom and a bit later fitted an extractor fan with humidistat - decent one, no mickey mouse stuff. Now, the paint on my ceiling is peeling big time - nearly 1/4 of the ceiling is affected. I guess it was typical new house builders and the painters not mist coating etc and now I have introduced a source of vapour / condensation. Will I be ok if I scrape off all the peeling paintwork, apply diluted pva, skim with easifill or such like and then re-paint?

Don't want to go to all the effort and find out there is an important step I missed.

Bathroom paint is acrylic eggshell. Get white eggshell for your bathroom ceiling. It can be a little shiny, for a proper old school good Finnish get flat oil paint. It's a ****** cos it's oil but best cos it is oil. Careful of putting pva on, I think paint can stick to the pva and then the pva can easily peel off later with paint attached. You can get new plaster paint which is low oppacity and designed to soak in and stay there. Might be best to ask painting forum as posted. Dulux centre are excellent for advice, you can ask in there store . I think there paint is best costs more, but it uses less coats and takes less time and lasts longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, surely the only difference between ceiling and wall paint is the angle of the brush.Doc H.
dont be silly doc,

ceiling paint runs horizontally, wall paint drips vertically,

and the beer always ends up tasting the same colour as the ceiling after about 3 cans.!

If you go into a Dulux center, tell them what you want and they will be able to give you a proper answer and they stock all products for painting. Unlike today when i try'd to get a digital timer from CEF, TLC & WF all who did not have the stock so i had to go to tool station.

You will be the painting equivalent of the time wasting civilians i get held up by if i have the misfortune of having to Q up in TLC. Whenever i go in my local branch, there always seems to be a member of public asking the dude behind the counter "im wiring up my shed/kitchen/house, i need a thingy that does this or that, what size cable/breaker/brain would i need to do it. If i stick my finger in my _____ will it work" The spotty chav behind the counter will resentfully sell them some thing or another while all the sparks try not to make eye contact so the civilian does not start asking them some rubbish question about something they should not be messing around with.

Only difference in Dulux they are there for non believers in paint, they are actually helpful and know what they are talking about.

Ok, my bad - what I meant was they don't do the bathroom paint in white! lol
Yes they do...

we got white Dulux bathroom paint in our bathroom!!

B&Q sell it...

Or they did! when we bought ours!

:Salute

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? We have a tiny B&Q here and the only flavours they sold were like exotic blue or jade green etc. Will have a look at the weekend in that case.

I found Wickes cheapo contract white matt emulsion is brilliant as a base coat for new plaster.

Then overpaint with a decent paint. An egshell or silk finish is best for bathrooms.

Latest posts