people answering phone with their number

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy™

©Resident Geordie™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
missed a call today whilst on the phone to someone else, so phone them back a few minutes later. instead of the usual 'hello',  i get '456 xxxx'

er... yes, i already know your phone number. i just called it. why do people do that?! do they get that many calls starting by checking their number that they feel the need to remind everyone which number they are calling when they get an answer to save a bit time?!

Theres a whole thing with answering the phone .

I thought that was an old fashioned thing .... on a private  land line  people would  announce  the whole number or the  final four figures  ...if answering a business it would be  John Smith Ltd  .  

At home I answer with hello .....mobile ...  If  a name displays  I'd say Hello Andy  , if not  just hello

Or the modern thing ......Hello this is Shiftit & Floggett , Jennifer speaking , how may I be of assistance       .

There were a few builders whose answer  was enough to scare off any would be customer ........  'allo  !!!!  Wadderyowant !!!?   

Theres a shop in a nearby High St  ,  cheapo type pound shop , called  Smash, Bang Wallop !   Which is what you'd have to say when answering the phone .

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting plagued by 'those' people, you know the ones, you've either had an accident you were not aware of or they're trying to sell you something despite being told on the previous 10 occasions that you are not interested and never to ring again, then I discovered the answer, they all hate the police, so now if I get a nmber I don't know it's either, " hello P C Davies" my initials are actually P C, or sometimes I answer with a cheery, "hello, Merseyside Police", if they hang up it's one of 'those' people, if it's someone looking for me I usually get something like, "oh er, I was looking for the electrician" it works a treat and has cut my nuisance calls dramatically.

I was getting plagued by 'those' people, you know the ones, you've either had an accident you were not aware of or they're trying to sell you something despite being told on the previous 10 occasions that you are not interested and never to ring again, then I discovered the answer, they all hate the police, so now if I get a nmber I don't know it's either, " hello P C Davies" my initials are actually P C, or sometimes I answer with a cheery, "hello, Merseyside Police", if they hang up it's one of 'those' people, if it's someone looking for me I usually get something like, "oh er, I was looking for the electrician" it works a treat and has cut my nuisance calls dramatically.
if you were just yourself and stopped impersonating others then you might find life isn’t so complicated!