Periodic Insp/Report

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Birmingham want to do a PIR at a small factory ?

Their insurance Co. won' t accept a report from myself as an ELECSA member, will only accept NICEIC, ECA, NAPITT !!! :| :|

Deke

Anyone in Birmingham want to do a PIR at a small factory ? Their insurance Co. won' t accept a report from myself as an ELECSA member, will only accept NICEIC, ECA, NAPITT !!! :| :|

Deke
Have you been in contact with ELECSA about this? It's ridiculous.

I'm with British Standards for my part p. They will fight your case if councils etc won't except your qualifications talk to elecsa.

Batty

Anyone in Birmingham want to do a PIR at a small factory ? Their insurance Co. won' t accept a report from myself as an ELECSA member, will only accept NICEIC, ECA, NAPITT !!! :| :|

Deke
But don't ECA own Elecsa!

Its about the customers choice.

who they wish to use? Not how good you are. :|

Much the same as your local Vauxhall dealer moaning because the customer wants to purchase a Ford!

You still have a car that gets from A to B & meets all current safety standards..... BUT the customer wants a Ford not a Vauxhall!

Nowt ELECSA or anyone else can do about it... Customer has a choice! ;)

Its about the customers choice.who they wish to use? Not how good you are. :|

Much the same as your local Vauxhall dealer moaning because the customer wants to purchase a Ford!

You still have a car that gets from A to B & meets all current safety standards..... BUT the customer wants a Ford not a Vauxhall!

Nowt ELECSA or anyone else can do about it... Customer has a choice! ;)
It's not really the same specs! It's like ordering a taxi and saying you'll take everything but a Ford! As though it's worth less :| You want a taxi you don't get to pick the make!

It's not really the same specs! It's like ordering a taxi and saying you'll take everything but a Ford! As though it's worth less :| You want a taxi you don't get to pick the make!
No but you chose which taxi firm or alternative method of transport you want to use..

The customer has the choice to select whatever contractors they wish to use, based on whatever criteria they want to specify. be it cost, qualifications, free gifts, how much they like the boss, etc.. etc..

If you are purchasing any service..

No service provider can insist that your use them.

any more than British Gas could insist I get my Gas from them! :|

No but you chose which taxi firm or alternative method of transport you want to use..The customer has the choice to select whatever contractors they wish to use, based on whatever criteria they want to specify. be it cost, qualifications, free gifts, how much they like the boss, etc.. etc..

If you are purchasing any service..

No service provider can insist that your use them.

any more than British Gas could insist I get my Gas from them! :|
I take your point, BUT to actively discriminate against is somewhat anti-competative ;)

I've done PIRs for years without a problem, many before Part P registration arrived, which dosn't cover industrial anyway. The customer (nut and bolt makers) wanted us and are paying for the inspection, but if insurer won't have it what can you do ?

My yearly assessment is due shortly so I'll raise it with the ELECSA guy.

ECA does own ELECSA

I've done PIRs for years without a problem, many before Part P registration arrived, which dosn't cover industrial anyway. The customer (nut and bolt makers) wanted us and are paying for the inspection, but if insurer won't have it what can you do ?My yearly assessment is due shortly so I'll raise it with the ELECSA guy.

ECA does own ELECSA
some insurance companies do specify NICEIC paperwork,thats the reason i went with NIC in the first place,but i agree it is wrong.

it would do no harm to get elecsa to give them a call i took bc to task before part p

for only accepting niceic after looking in to it they back tracked

Deke
Disgraceful.

The Godfatherl

I take your point, BUT to actively discriminate against is somewhat anti-competative ;)
erm? do you mean customer choice..

The customer requests quotes for the job, (in this case a PIR), various contractors come forward...

Customer makes choice based on various factors that suit the customer specific requirements. open free market choice...

customer is not forced to accept which contractor to use or not.

We seem to forget who is the customer in these situations.

The contractor has a free choice which body or bodies they choose to join..

the offer a service for purchase by a customer?

NO discrimination or forced to join A B C or D, as far as I see?

In our house we prefer Kellogs cornflakes,

Not Sainsbury or Asda or Tesco or Morrison own brand cornflakes...

they are all there to choose from... We choose Kellogs!

No active discrimination against the supermarkets saying they cant have their products for sale & purchase by others...

But ME, I don't buy them!

Electrical services are there for the choice with all the various flavours and shops to choose from...

Someone prefers NIC & co... tis there free choice.

Much the same as anyone could pick another VET if they so wished.. :) :D

it would do no harm to get elecsa to give them a call i took bc to task before part pfor only accepting niceic after looking in to it they back tracked
That is a slightly different situation..

The BC has an obligation to provide part P compliance for all works within their area, and competence is defined within BS7671 & approved Doc P, All approved bodies are listed in App doc P.

Whereas this is a private business choosing another private business to undertake a task for them.

None of the Part-P provides could force any private business or individual to use their contractors! :|

some insurance companies do specify NICEIC paperwork,thats the reason i went with NIC in the first place,but i agree it is wrong.
I would agree. That, and the fact that NIC are the most well-known of the "governing bodies", and many companies will only work with NIC certs as a result.

We are all aware of the options and availabilities of the scam providers / governing bodies. We make a conscious decision to choose one over another, for whatever reasons.

Elecsa may cost less than NIC for membership

NAPIT may be a doddle to pass the assessment.

etc

etc

NICEIC is the most widely known and used.

Look at each option - and decide which is right for you.

Then deal with it, or jump ship.

Just my opinion guys

KME