Photocell sensor

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy1733

Reaction score
Hey gents. I'm looking for a photocell sensor to run some led decking lights I'm fitting into my extension soffit.
Any brand recommendations

Do you mean a PIR movement detector type sensor...?
Or just photocell only.. so lights come on when dark irrespective or movement detection..
(if just photocell with no movement detection are you needed any timed control so they are not just one all night until dawn the next day?)

We have a basic cheapo photocell fixed onto the gable wall of our house to power some decorative low energy external lights automatically when it gets dark..
its been up for years previously powering some halogen lamp fittings, until I replaced the lamps 18months ish' ago...

So even if away on holiday some lights automatically turn on when it gets dark..
makes the house look a bit more 'lived in'

I can't remember what make it is.. and I'm not getting the ladder out to check...
But it was whatever Screwfix were stocking probably 10+ years ago?

And still working so no complaints.

Do you mean a PIR movement detector type sensor...?
Or just photocell only.. so lights come on when dark irrespective or movement detection..
(if just photocell with no movement detection are you needed any timed control so they are not just one all night until dawn the next day?)

We have a basic cheapo photocell fixed onto the gable wall of our house to power some decorative low energy external lights automatically when it gets dark..
its been up for years previously powering some halogen lamp fittings, until I replaced the lamps 18months ish' ago...

So even if away on holiday some lights automatically turn on when it gets dark..
makes the house look a bit more 'lived in'

I can't remember what make it is.. and I'm not getting the ladder out to check...
But it was whatever Screwfix were stocking probably 10+ years ago?

And still working so no complaints.
Just the light on/off sensor. Disk till dawn. Not bothered of it has a timer on it. Just need one to do led.

That's more what I was looking for. Something a bit more robust than a £10 cheap.
I have several of those '£10 cheap' ones around my property, two of them are over 20 years old and continue to work with no issues, no drama. I cant think of a single reason to choose alternatives to the one that rt9 suggests, they're a superb device.

The cheaper ones are very good and used them for years with little issue, they are somewhat unsightly if not in a large open area to some though, so swapped to using the steinel nb3000, which is very good, it also has a function that can be used if the lights are only required for -late nights and early mornings, it switches off at 01:30 and wakes up again between 0400-0500 to switch lights back on for early risers.

Latest posts