Pinball machine

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After about 8 years i finally got an old pinball machine out the garage and into the house to work on it.  I was given it as a guy was moving and it had to go that day. The moron snapped the top of and cut through the hundreds of cables to get the machine out his flat, before i got there. The top section had a couple of wing nuts to remove and all the various looms plugged in less than  a foot away from where he chopped them.

I repaired& rebuilt  the broken cabinet straight away and with my dodgy eyes in the dim garage gave up trying to match the wiring.

Anyhow, all now joined through except the power loom. There are numerous tappings giving  various AC voltages and my brain is hurting after sniffing solder fumes all day. Below is a tranny, the red pair go to a bridge . The blue pair go to another bridge. The 3 greys are marked so i  can reconnect them (1 is grounded) the 2 yellows (bot right) are a ac supply. The 2 whites are a ac supply  . The 2 browns are a ac supply (6 different voltages in total). Baring in mind at least 4 of the pairs are grounded in the machine somewhere does it matter which way round i reconnect the same colour cables ?

20160320_215303.jpg

Pic of just a few of the repaired looms

20160320_182711.jpg

If the image below is still there, sorry i cant clear it from the last time i uploaded a pic here from my phone ?

IMG-20160131-WA0000.jpg

As Rob, says, what machine?  I might have the manual for it (on pdf), which has all the wiring diagrams.

My favourites: Terminator 2, Indiana Jones, Twilight Zone, Wizard, Theatre of Magic, .............

I have the manual & wiring diagrams. Its a Williams Comet (1986)

My problem is, the wiring was cut and that transformer has 6 tappings.  Each pair of cables from each tapping has the same colour cable. Does it matter  which way i reconect each pair respective pair. The manual does not show top or bottom connections.

I should have named this thread 'Auto transformer polarity'.

it's ac so it doesn't matter.

I concur :)

Looking at the wiring diagram, two pairs, Red & Blue, go to bridges - doesn't matter.

One pair, White, is earthed remotely - doesn't matter.

Last pair, Yellow, 6.3V, goes to illumination - doesn't matter.

I lived near a hotel as a kid. There was a games room with a pin ball machine, I was always on it. I remember the back panel was loose on one occasion and I managed to spin the 'extra game' wheel round to 25 (if you got a high score it would click up a free game). I was on it all night. 

I lived near a hotel as a kid. There was a games room with a pin ball machine, I was always on it. I remember the back panel was loose on one occasion and I managed to spin the 'extra game' wheel round to 25 (if you got a high score it would click up a free game). I was on it all night. 
Sinner!! :D  

Once I enlarged the wiring diagram I realised the trannys  11 terminals were numbered so out with my camera probe and worked out what was what. I already had the power circuit board apart as the yellow 6.3 pair had burnt there way off the board. (Apparently most people have replaced all the lamps for led's to stop this problem). I cut the loom apart and with a meter worked out exactly which cable went where. Now all I have to do is work out how to reassemble the cabinet I took apart 7 years ago.

Latest posts