Plastic supply pipes in Bathroom

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingspark

Reaction score
Hello, Sorry but another bonding question.....

I recently installed a 12v extractor fan in a bathroom which had never had any central heating radiators in it, until this re-fit. I installed the transformer for the fan is outside the bathroom, the only light switch is also outside the bathroom.

All of the pipe work supplying both hot & cold water, and the radiator are plastic from main intakes to just below the floor boards (a very short length of copper poking through), The new bath is Metal.

Basically, I have gone over the regs flicking back and forwards, humming and haring, supplementary bonding in this bathroom dont seem to make sense as potentially there is no potential if you know what I mean.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

No you do not need to bond.

15 years ago a new build with a new water supply in plastic was chopped and a copper insert was introduced normally between 4 to 6 inches just to comply with bonding requirements.The rest of the installation being plastic.

There is no requirement to bond an all plastic service, to do so may raise the potential.

Thanks green-hornet, really appriecate you getting back so soon.

So by your answer and the info I have supplied, you agree with me, that this particular instalation where the conductive parts (radiator and bath and bath and sink taps) are not considered to be extraneous, as they would not be liable to introduce a potential or earth potential, as they are supplied entirely by plastic pipes? Just wanted to check you came to the same conclusion as me via same route.

Many thanks for your time

D.