polarity testing

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

searley

Reaction score
got my 206 inspection & testing exam next week the only thing I'm stuck on is the polarity test i can`t remember where the probe goes.i now one goes onto the light fitting and does the other probe go to the circuit breaker for the lighting circuit and the same for the ring test circuit breaker to every phase on the socket front outlets.

for this test do you always go from the circuit breaker to the live at all fittings.

thanks for the help.cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
R1+R2 with each switch operated confirms Polarity. Two way and two and Intermediate(s) required every switch to be operated and may require further testing.

Good Luck (Not that you need it).

Searley are you referring to doing wander lead testing of polarity rather then R1+R2 as Admin suggests?

(Admins a clever bloke you known) :x

we ALL luuuuv him!:xBlushingGuiness Drink

Polarity is almost always confirmed by r1+r2 checks, providing correct methods are used.

This can be by way of a temp connection in the db from earth to the out going live of the radial circuit to be tested or by the wander lead method.

Ring circuits need further testing ie end to end then out going neutral to incomming nuetral, same for earth and same for live.

Polarity is almost always confirmed by r1+r2 checks, providing correct methods are used.This can be by way of a temp connection in the db from earth to the out going live of the radial circuit to be tested or by the wander lead method.

Ring circuits need further testing ie end to end then out going neutral to incomming nuetral, same for earth and same for live.
In the "real world" R1+R2 IMHO is easiest...

less risk of other persons tripping over your "long lead"! :|

no wonder leads needed.the test is just on a small board on to the wall so you can do everything at arms lengh.the lead goes from the one of the pins on the light fitting to the db fuse for the lighting circuit to check for polarity is this wright.

is this the same for the sockets, db fuse - every live on the socket ring with a martindale r1+r2 tester with probe pushed in ?

cheers for past answers.

I would tend to use the R1 + R2 method as by operating the switch you are testing polarity as well. The R2 using a wander lead works but only proves the c.p.c. but in reality you'll probably only use it to test bonding conductors.

Best bet, buy an on-site guide as all tests are in there, in order and in level 3 you'll need it anyway!

sorry about the last post i see what you mean about a wonder lead i will be using the wonder lead test method 2.got a bit confused because i am doing the test on a board on the wall city & guilds level 3 test and inspection.you can do everything at arms length.

does the lead go from one of the pins on the light fitting to the db fuse for the lighting circuit to check for polarity is this is in the phase leg of the circuit.?

is this the same for the sockets, db fuse - every live on the socket ring with a martindale plug and test tester with probe pushed in ?

must apologise for all the grief caused but just want to get it right.